WW2 Bristish Army uniforms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WW2 Bristish Army uniforms

At the weekend by father in law brought around a couple of boxes of old photos; 1 from his side of the family and the other from his wife's side. They include a far number with the men in WW2 uniform. We have most of the name but we do not now who was in what regiment during the war.

Wondering if anybody knows of some good sites or resources from which I might be able to identify what the uniforms are. Unfortunately, the photos are not sufficiently detailed to be able to see button details it may be possible to work on some of the cap badges.

And which regiments had a 'cord loop' over the left shoulder and what is the correct name for this loop. I suspect the colour of the cord might be a clue to the regiment but the photos are B&W:(

Many thanks

Dermot

Hi Dermot,

I think they are called lanyards

Just Googled WW2 Lanyards and then clicked Images. have a look it's interesting

Linda
    Last edited by Loopy Linda in La La Land; 30-04-13, 11:53.

Comment

Lanyards it is. Thanks Linda.

Comment

Dermot,
        many regiments wear lanyards, probably the most common one was the Royal Artillery. If you google British uniform lanyards it gives a good explanation.

Your best bet on identification is checking the cap badges, there is in existence a British Badge forum or if you just google badges they have pictures of hundreds

of different badges.
        Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Working...
        X