Possible family name: MUSTART

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible family name: MUSTART

My gggg-grandfather was James Mustart Wilson (abt.1820 - abt.1890), marrried (2 Mar 1840) to Sophia White (b.3 Jan 1814). His father was Hugh James Wilson. Most of this is directly from James'/Sophia's original marriage certificate which is in my possession and from which, interestingly, the unusual middle name has been scratchily crossed through - I wonder why. All these people lived in or around Bethnal Green.

But whence came this middle name of MUSTART? I am guessing that is was a family surname and I can find lots of them, but I'm hoping to short-circuit the search by enquiring: Has anyone on this forum come across a Mustart linked with a Wilson in the early 1800s?

Naturally, I am happy to share all the related information that I have with anyone who has an interest in these lines of descent. Incidentally, Sophia White descended from George White & Susannah Wrench (who earlier married a Dupree), whose parents were Joseph Wrench and Mary Ranshall, and so on and so on...

Brian.

Originally posted by brianofcava View Post
    My gggg-grandfather was James Mustart Wilson (abt.1820 - abt.1890), marrried (2 Mar 1840) to Sophia White (b.3 Jan 1814). His father was Hugh James Wilson. Most of this is directly from James'/Sophia's original marriage certificate which is in my possession and from which, interestingly, the unusual middle name has been scratchily crossed through - I wonder why. All these people lived in or around Bethnal Green.

But whence came this middle name of MUSTART? I am guessing that is was a family surname and I can find lots of them, but I'm hoping to short-circuit the search by enquiring: Has anyone on this forum come across a Mustart linked with a Wilson in the early 1800s?

Naturally, I am happy to share all the related information that I have with anyone who has an interest in these lines of descent. Incidentally, Sophia White descended from George White & Susannah Wrench (who earlier married a Dupree), whose parents were Joseph Wrench and Mary Ranshall, and so on and so on...

Brian.
    On the marriage cert does it have any margin notes? If the Registrar had scratched through the name he would have had to make a note in a corrections book and in that case would put a number in the margin of the certificate.

Margaret

Comment

It's here Margaret -

It isn't the grooms name that's been scratched through you know Margaret. It's the father's middle name from Henry to James.
      Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 28-04-13, 10:46.
      Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
        It's here Margaret -

It isn't the grooms name that's been scratched through you know Margaret. It's the father's middle name from Henry to James.
        Thanks Chrissie - the way it is written makes it sound as though it's the name of Mustart that was crossed through - it looks as though the Registrar has drawn some lines to write on to keep it neat - either that or the line is showing through from the other side of the page.

Margaret

Comment

Reading Brian's post again I see he has the original certificate so perhaps someone has amended it it after issue for some reason so that it now doesn't match the register entry.

Margaret

Comment

I thought the same Margaret. In fact, when I searched for the marriage I wasn't sure it would show up easily if the Mustart had been removed
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

George John Purris

Spouse's Name:

Mary Ann Mustart Wilson

Event Date:

13 Nov 1859
              Event Place:

Saint Dunstan,Stepney,London,England

Indexing Project (Batch) Number:

M05576-6

System Origin:

England-ODM

Mary Ann Mustart Wilson, "England, Births and Christenings, 1538-1975"
              Name:

Mary Ann Mustart Wilson

Female

Christening Date:

30 Apr 1850
              Christening Place:

ST MARY WHITECHAPEL,STEPNEY,LONDON,ENGLAND

Birth Date:

16 Feb 1827

Father's Name:

Hugh Samuel Wilson

Mother's Name:

Christiana Mustart

C00629-9

System Origin:

England-ODM

GS Film number:

94697, 94698

Rachel Mustart Wilson, "England, Marriages, 1538–1973 "

Name:

John Watchens

Spouse's Name:

Rachel Mustart Wilson

Event Date:

20 Nov 1859

Event Place:

Saint Dunstan,Stepney,London,England

M05576-6

System Origin:

England-ODM

GS Film number:

801586, 801587, 801588, 801589, 801590, 801591, 801592, 801593, 80159

Edna

Comment

Try Googling the name Mustart Wilson as there are a few hits on genealogy sites

Edna

Comment

Many thanks to you all for the work you have put in. Things are becoming clearer! I'll first clarify the confusions that have arisen, and then deal with the Mary Ann Mustart WILSON discovery. I have prepared a "stitched" image of the original marriage certificate, but don't know how to upload it onto this Forum - can I do that? ("Stitched" because the certificate is too long for the A4 platen on my scanner.)

1. I never bothered to look for the certificate online, as I have it here at home. Sorry to have put you to that trouble!
                  2. I had forgotten about marginal notes, ignoring the 14-6-554(?) in the left column. I guess that this refers to the change of Father's middle name from Henry to James, as you so rightly observed.
                  3. You are not seeing what is clear on my original, which is the scratched out middle name of the Groom - but it's not mutilated in the "solemnized between us" section below, where it is clearly enough MUSTART.
                  4. I am personally sure that this middle name was scratched through, probably in Indian ink, as it is even now bright and clear, by the groom or one of his family at a later date - wouldn't it be nice to know why?!

After I had asked the question on this Forum yesterday, I thought I would bite the bullet and look for the link (as there usually was in those days) with the two NEWBERRY witnesses, William Henry & Susanna. And that search was easier than I had expected, revealing some interesting relationships.

I found that in 1851 William Hy Newberry and Susannah with their daughter Maria were present at the same address as George White (widower) and 2 daughters Martha and Ann Bailey (another interesting middle name...), which fits exactly with other information I have about George White (father of the Bride) whose wife Susannah WRENCH is known to have descended from RANSHALL, DUPREE, MESSMAN and CASH ancestors, ultimately French.

So an immediate link is clarified, and I know more about the MUSTART background.

Finally (you'll be pleased to read!), I came across other relatives along the way, but found not only the Hugh James WILSON, but also a Hugh Samuel WILSON, which is going to give me more trouble, I'm sure. But I feel confident in all these links, and am happy to share them with any readers of these pages.

Many thank, again, to you all.
                  Brian.

Comment

Thank you for all of this detail. I shall check carefully now to see what I might have missed. If I remember correctly (from only yesterday!) the first name that you have written should really be Purvis - I do recall that it is transcribed on Ancestry with various different spellings, simply because it was badly written in the original.
                    Regards,
                    Brian.

Comment

I also found a Cristian Mustart (female) in Alloa Scotland baptism last night but it got too late for me so will check that out later, possibly they married there.
                      I am off to do gardening in the wind.

Edna

Comment

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYKF-3L9 Christian Mustart Scotland 1803
                        https://www.familysearch.org/search/...ace%3Ascotland~
                        Check these out.
                        They may tie in with your research somewhere
                        Edna

Comment

Thank you again, Edna. It is beginning to seem that MUSTART originates from Scotland - or perhaps I should say that it came to England from Scotland. I'll shortly be following up all of the useful leads that I have received, maybe to find that I have two Scottish lines instead of just my g-grandfather Robert Coos MACMILLAN from Glasgow. I'll soon have to start learning the language...

Comment

Originally posted by brianofcava View Post
                            Thank you again, Edna. It is beginning to seem that MUSTART originates from Scotland - or perhaps I should say that it came to England from Scotland. I'll shortly be following up all of the useful leads that I have received, maybe to find that I have two Scottish lines instead of just my g-grandfather Robert Coos MACMILLAN from Glasgow. I'll soon have to start learning the language...
                            Not an easy task - learning Scottish as they all speak it differently -

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                            X