serious mystery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• serious mystery

i'm looking for a marriage of kate edith shaw to a mr mareo. and not having any luck.

likely birth reg: kate edith shaw, dec 1856, hackney.

1861: 'catherine e. shaw' age 4, b.dalston, middlesex. with grandparents george and lavinia at 'barneparks', teignmouth, devon.

1871: 'kattie shaw' age 14, b.albion square, london. with parents william and elizabeth in cardiganshire.

after this i can't find her. her mother and maternal grandmother vanish after this census, along with brother robert. all other brothers are accounted for.

father william shaw is back in bath in 1881. he remarries by 1891 to sarah anne elizabeth, called 'lallie'. he died in 1901, left a will written in 1899 on the isle of wight. in the will he names all surviving children. he refers to his his daughter 'mrs kate edith mareo', and his son 'robert broff shaw'.

the family was a gentry one, and they have shown up all over the world, so i wonder if kate was not in england for any census. two brothers were in south america during the 1890's-1914, another lived in australia (no trace of her there), another was in the army......so she is not unusual for being absent.

can anyone help me find a marriage for kate? i can't find her in any census either. and i can't find a death.

Are you sure Kate Edith is the person you have found on the censuses you give? Can you give the references so we can look please?

Margaret

Comment

i'm solid on kate's family. i just can't find a trace of her after 1871, except for her father's will which mentions her married to mr mareo.

1861:

ref: RG 9; Piece: 1400; Folio: 155; Page: 33; GSU roll: 542807.

1871:

ref: Class: RG10; Piece: 5540; Folio: 62; Page: 23; GSU roll: 850859.

Comment

Well had a look around the UK records and passenger lists outgoing don't start until 1890 so she was probably already gone by then.

The name Mateo seems to be Spanish from what I can see from the records that come up and if she married etc in Spain you are unlikely to find her as the records are held by town halls and nothing is yet digitised. I can't see anything on the Overseas Indexes for her.

Could be S.America too as many Spanish over there. Nothing obvious coming up on familysearch.org.

There's a private tree on ancestry with Catherine in it but maybe that's yours? User name anherd.

Margaret

Comment

Here's one....Grandmother died, formerly of Teignmouth, late of 71 St. George's Square

England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966
          Name: Lavinia Broff Shaw
          Probate Date: 5 Apr 1878
          Death Date: 24 Dec 1877
          Death Place: Middlesex, England
          Registry: Principal Registry

England & Wales, FreeBMD Death Index, 1837-1915
          Name: Lavina Brott Shaw
          Estimated Birth Year: abt 1799
          Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1877
          Age at Death: 78
          Registration district: St George Hanover Square
          Inferred County: London
          Volume: 1a/262
          Last edited by Elaine; 28-04-13, 20:11.
          Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Found this

NBI
            First name(s): Lavinia Broff
            Last name: SHAW
            Date of burial 31 Dec 1877
            Age at death: 78
            Calculated year of birth: 1799
            Place of burial Horbling
            Dedication: St Andrew
            County: Lincolnshire
            Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
            http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

thanx for your thoughts margaret. the name 'mareo' could be a form of 'mario' which is likely. but it could also come from the town of 'mareo' in the tyrol region of northern italy. so i do wonder if the marriage took place in italy.

thank you for that elaine. lavinia was the last of the brown family of horbling, they held many manor houses, and her husband george shaw was a solicitor who bought the town hall in billericay i think it was. the town was so miffed at him they raised the amount he bought it for and got it off him! so i have the ancestry sorted. i'm trying to trace kate.

Comment

Working...
              X