Question re Aussie /NZ research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question re Aussie /NZ research

Is it possible to find someone who died in the late 1960s/1970s in either NZ or Aus ? I've got the name & approximate age....how would I go about it, please? (if it is possible)

I'm sure others will know more about NZ and other Australian states, but you can search for New South Wales deaths up to 1982:

The Registry was formed in 1856 to register life events in New South Wales accurately and securely for all time, ensuring their integrity and confidentiality. All our over the counter services are available at Service NSW centres.

then click on the Deaths button
    Christine
    Last edited by Karamazov; 26-04-13, 21:59.
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Try the Ryerson Index first, its an Australia-wide index to death notices.

An index to death and funeral notices, and other death-type information, published in Australian newspapers from 1803 to the present

If no death notice was published in a major newspaper, it will be a matter of searching each states Death Indexes, some states are better than others. I think NSW has the most recent - up to 1982, some only go up to 50 years ago. If you have an ancestry sub. you might pick up a death registration in a search. It usually also gives parents names -ancestry.com.au also has the Electoral Rolls up to 1980, which might help narrow the time frame. If you like I will do a search for you, just PM the name if you don't want to put on the forum.

NZ death indexes only go up to 1963.

Di
      Last edited by dicole; 26-04-13, 23:32.
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

in general australian deaths are restricted for 10 years, to family members and anyone who has permission from one of them to obtain it. technically any death older than the last 10 years is a historical record and anyone can access it without restriction. however getting the states to update their online indexes is a pain. you'll have to know which state your after. NSW goes up to 1982 online, vic is 1985, QSLD is 1963 i think.

NZ has their own rules about deaths, check out their site for them, as they are rather complicated in some cases.
        Last edited by kylejustin; 27-04-13, 02:49.

Comment

you could try to put the name into google and see if any obituaries turn up or try findagrave and see ifthey have it.
          Angelina

Comment

Thanks very much, everyone.....I'll try your suggestions

Comment

I was researching a death in Australia. google ' Australian libraries' they have on line family research facility, send an email to the librarian , with as much info as you can, they will look it up and give you the information they have or not, as the case may be, plus its all free! they are really helpful, if they have no info they give suggestions, where else to look, I don't know if it covers the whole of the country, cant remember, you can ask. good luck.

Comment

Regarding NZ - you can find recent deaths on their online search, as long as the date of birth of the deceased was at least 80 years ago from the current date.
                Birth, Death and Marriage - Historical Records

Queensland deaths are now available to 1983: https://www.bdm.qld.gov.au/IndexSear....m?type=deaths

A good, up to date site for links to Australian BMD's is: http://www.coraweb.com.au/bdmau.htm

Cheers
                Richard

Comment

Working...
                X