Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Tree Maker

Has anyone got the 2012 upgrade?

I have FTM 2009 and have decided it's time for a newer model. There seem to be three or so different varieties: Deluxe, Platinum, World (at massively varying prices!!) .................. and there's also a 2012 upgrade. So what is the upgrade, compared to the complete suites? I mean is it a Deluxe upgrade?

I presume I just need the upgrade? Or is it best to buy an entire new suite? Depending on where you buy, there doesn't seem to be a great difference in prices.

Sorry for all the questions!
    Last edited by bev&kev; 26-04-13, 17:00.

If you buy the whole thing again you get a subscription included. I recently recommended the Premium package as it gave 6 months sub to that level of membership and is a bargain.

I have just looked at this http://www.my-history.co.uk/acatalog...aker_2012.html and see the 'upgrade only' is the cheapest but you don't get any sub with it. So depending on what you need by way of a sub ie world or simply premium then choose the cheapest you can find and I would say buy the whole thing - that's what we all do.

The actual programme you get will be the same in each case as the latest version is 2012 but obviously there are extras in each pack - depends if you want/need those extras.

Margaret
    Last edited by margaretmarch; 26-04-13, 17:23.

Comment

Thanks Margaret. I'm not fussed about the free sub. I already have Ancestry and still remember the hassle I had trying to use the free sub when I bought the 2009 FTM.

Comment

Originally posted by bev&kev View Post
        Thanks Margaret. I'm not fussed about the free sub. I already have Ancestry and still remember the hassle I had trying to use the free sub when I bought the 2009 FTM.
        Well it's very simple to get sorted nowadays and you don't have to activate until you're ready - if you already have the same level of sub it will just add on to the expiry date the relevant number of months so worth having.
        Margaret

Comment

I think you might have been unlucky Terri. I've been using FTM premium and buying a new one every 6 months. Its usually about £30 on Amazon but worth shopping around for. Then I just activate it and ring Ancestry on their freephone number. Their call handlers are extremely helpful and polite and have tagged my 6 months free sub onto the end of my current sub. Its much cheaper than buying an annual subscription.
          Jackie

Comment

If you just activate the new one before your sub runs out, doesn't it add it on the end of your present sub then Jackie? Do you ring them before you click to activate or after? I always get confused and so wait until the day it runs out.
            Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 26-04-13, 20:57.
            Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
              If you just activate the new one before your sub runs out, doesn't it add it on the end of your present sub then Jackie? Do you ring them before you click to activate or after? I always get confused and so wait until the day it runs out.
              The way I've done it is to activate it first - I figured that they would then know I've actually bought one. Then I ring them and they tag another 6 months onto the end of my existing sub. I do it near the end of my subscription.

Don't know if that's the right way but it works for me
              Jackie

Comment

Thanks Jackie I'll do the same then. Have you noticed before you ring them what activating has done? i.e. Has it just given you 6 months from the day you did it, or what?
                Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

It doesn't seem to have done and the reason I've rung them is to make sure that they don't take the sub from my credit card. They then do whatever it is they have to do and send me an email to confirm. I've just checked because I kept the last email so I did it a few days before my sub ran out.

Order date - 9th January 2013
                  Extension start date - 14th January 2013
                  Extension end date - 14th July 2013
                  Total cost - £0.00
                  Jackie

Comment

when you say you activate it what exactly do you do ? I got 2 discs with 6 months free worlwide on each and when I tried to install it nothing happened so I had to ring to get it activated, the 6 months are almost up and I have another one so am thinking I will ring them.

Comment

Trying to remember now Val. I installed the disc and then probably registered it. I already had FTM installed anyway but it didn't do any harm. It was really easy ringing them - I think they get a lot of calls about it because they know exactly what to do.
                      Jackie

Comment

Thanks Jackie ,I didnt want to install the disc as I like the version I have,maybe its better for me to ring them then.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                          Thanks Jackie ,I didnt want to install the disc as I like the version I have,maybe its better for me to ring them then.
                          You can instal another version without changing over to use it. I had FTM 2010 and 2012 on my PC at the same time and just used 2012. I think you have to instal and register the program anyway as otherwise how would they know you had bought one?

Margaret

Comment

As things seem to have improved with the free sub, I will buy a new FTM then.

Comment

I didn't install the last one Margaret I rang them and they activated me , I just installed this disc and it activated okay? but I was a bit worried as it still showed my sub runs out next month so rang them and they said as soon as the present one runs out in May this will automatically take over,so am okay now till the end of November.
                              Well worth buying the disc with free Ancestry Terri, I paid £76 for two discs with 6 months world wide free , much cheaper than paying the sub.

Comment

If you're not UK based, I think you need to be careful of where you buy the FTM program/update. I tried this a couple of years ago and it wouldn't work for me although I admit I never phoned Ancestry to try to work it out. My sub is with Ancestry.ca; I bought FTM with free sub from Ancestry.com. When I installed FTM & tried to activate the free sub ... nothing at all happened.

While we're on the FTM topic, I've just made the big switch from PC to Mac. (;D) Knowing this was coming, I hadn't updated my FTM since 2010. I'll be buying the FTM for Mac so all will be new. Are there any words of wisdom on this matter?

Comment

All done! Got myself a shiny new World FTM all installed. Now for a really stupid question ................. how do I work Ancestry.
                                  Despite being "world", it doesn't seem to want to go any further west than Wales!

Comment

As things seem to have improved with the free sub, I will buy a new FTM then.
                                    Hmmm same as last time. I've activated the "free" 6 months sub, and according to my account, I now have "worldwide" access, but every time I try to use it, it asks me to pay £155-odd!
                                    Last edited by bev&kev; 01-05-13, 15:35.

Comment

Me again ............. I've just phoned Ancestry and because the Ancestry Sub I already have is Premium (not worldwide), I can't activate the Worldwide free sub until the premium sub runs out. Luckily that is only in a couple of weeks time, or I would have been seriously peed off! I have to phone them again on the day my premium sub expires to get the worldwide one activated.

So it's still not that straightforward!

Comment

You folks in the UK have got a good thing going. I checked my FTM 2012 as my Ancestry sub is soon to expire ... and the FTM only comes with a two-week free trial to Ancestry. (I hadn't activated it last year when I got the 2012 with the thoughts I'd do it when my sub was expired.)

Comment

Working...
                                        X