Origins.net

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origins.net

Has anyone used this site yet, if so is it any good?

Mum and I came across it in one of the Family Tree Magazines earlier.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

I have used the Irish Origins in the past for good Griffiths Valuation as the site gives the full Griffiths with maps etc though these days I think there is a free site for Griffiths.

Janet

Comment

So is it worth the money? I've done the free search for my elusive Matthew Lennon and there's 22 Irish hits and I'd rather see if it's worth it before buying the credits for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
        I have used the Irish Origins in the past for good Griffiths Valuation as the site gives the full Griffiths with maps etc though these days I think there is a free site for Griffiths.

Janet
        The free Griffith's Valuation search can be found here: http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/
        Once you've found the person you're after you can click to the original page and maps so no need to use a pay site...
        Christine
        Researching:
        HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Hmm according to your link Christine there's 2 Matthew Lennon's in Armagh. One is in Keady and the other in Derrynoose.

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
            So is it worth the money? I've done the free search for my elusive Matthew Lennon and there's 22 Irish hits and I'd rather see if it's worth it before buying the credits for it.
            I have a worldwide sub to FMP which gives me some Irish information. To be honest it is years since I used Irish Origins, but on the other hand with Ireland you just have to bite the bullet and get what you need as and when you can, and that may mean paying for it, if you cannot obtain the information for free. Most of my Irish tracing has been done in Ireland. I have all the Griffiths I need for the present, as I have traced all that I can in Ireland with just one marriage from around 1826 that I have been unable to find from any site either over here or in Ireland.

The last time I used the Free Griffiths on "ask about Ireland" they were not all on there. As a matter of interest you could try the Griffths Index which you will find all over the internet and see how many Matthew Lennon hits you get that way and then see if you can marry up the one you want with both free Griffiths and Irish Origins, that should bring the number down before you pay anything?

I presume that you do know the difference between the Griffiths Valuation Index and the Full Griffiths with maps etc?

Janet
            Last edited by Janet; 24-04-13, 15:17.

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
              Hmm according to your link Christine there's 2 Matthew Lennon's in Armagh. One is in Keady and the other in Derrynoose.
              Don't know details of your Matthew Lennon without searching to see if you have posted them somewhere else on this site.
              If posted already, can you direct me to the thread or else supply quick overview of what you know about him (dates, locations etc) either here or in a new thread ...
              Ta,
              Christine
              Researching:
              HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

http://www.familytreeforum.com/showt...ennan%2Fmackay

Comment

I have a worldwide sub to FMP which gives me some Irish information

Janet,
                  Just as a matter of interest how much is your worldwide sub to FMP? I'm wondering if it might prove better value than buying pay as you go credits. A lot the FMP Irish records I'm currently interested in are 20 credits each so quite pricy, particularly if they turn out not to be a family member.
                  Thanks,
                  Christine
                  Researching:

Comment

Christine,

I only paid £109 last October when I upgraded on a special offer, but I went to find out what I would pay this coming October and it will be £143.95 and that is supposed to be a saving of £16!! So it is quite pricey! I also have Worldwide Ancestry but as my Irish lot emigrated to the States, London and into the army post 1914 I also need Ancestry:(.I am hoping that one of these days one will do!

Janet
                    Last edited by Janet; 24-04-13, 15:32.

Comment

Have fun with your debate people. This sick person is going to bed for a bit..

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                        Christine,

I only paid £109 last October when I upgraded on a special offer, but I went to find out what I would pay this coming October and it will be £143.95 and that is supposed to be a saving of £16!! So it is quite pricey! I also have Worldwide Ancestry but as my Irish lot emigrated to the States, London and into the army post 1914 I also need Ancestry:(.I am hoping that one of these days one will do!

Janet
                        Janet,
                        Thanks for the info. That's my issue too - lots of big Irish families, many members of whom emigrated to the US, Canada, UK and in turn went on to have lots of descendants there so only a worldwide sub for either ancestry, FMP or both would be any good to me.
                        Christine
                        Researching:

Comment

Working...
                        X