Ireland to England?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ireland to England?

Can anyone help me to find out how Thomas Tubridy managed to travel from Ireland (County Clare) to England (York) please.

Thomas Tubridy
    Born: 09/04/1901 in Killard, County Clare, Ireland.

Died: 01/09/1984 in York, Yorkshire England. (1 year later and it would have been my brother's birthday)

1st Marriage: Dec 1924, Florence Burton.
    4 children: Terrance Thomas Tubridy: 1923/1987
    Mary- 1926/2005
    Still alive- 1929
    Mavis Monica- 1930/1999
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
    Can anyone help me to find out how Thomas Tubridy managed to travel from Ireland (County Clare) to England (York) please.

Thomas Tubridy
    Born: 09/04/1901 in Killard, County Clare, Ireland.

Died: 01/09/1984 in York, Yorkshire England. (1 year later and it would have been my brother's birthday)

1st Marriage: Dec 1924, Florence Burton.
    4 children: Terrance Thomas Tubridy: 1923/1987
    Mary- 1926/2005
    Still alive- 1929
    Mavis Monica- 1930/1999
    There are no records kept of travel between England and Ireland. The only way to travel in those days was by boat and no passenger lists are available.

Margaret

Comment

Ahh that might explain it, thank you.

Comment

Dublin to Liverpool most probably ....here in Liverpool people joked that Liverpool was the Capital of Ireland because so many Irish settled here , especially during the great Irish Potato Famine ...
        Last edited by garstonite; 24-04-13, 08:11.
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
        oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
        adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
        merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
        coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Thomas probably got on a train at somewhere like Ennis and went to Limerick. There were direct trains from Limerick to the docks in Dublin, which connected with the overnight ferry to Liverpool. It was a very easy journey to make, and one which hundreds of thousands of people made every year.
          Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

"Thomas probablygot on a train at somewhere like Ennis and went to Limerick. There were direct trains from Limerick to the docks in Dublin, which connected with the overnightferry to Liverpool. It was a very easy journey to make, and one which hundreds ofthousands of people made every year."
            And then on to York by train.
            An interesting time for a young man to be leaving Ireland– do you know when and why?
            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 24-04-13, 08:50.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

That Janet is the biggest mystery of all. There's a story that the potato famine or the B&T's may have been the cause, Nanna seemed to be of the belief that they wanted Tommy to join them. I don't know what to believe.

Looking at the 4 wives I'd say that it MAY have been something similar. I have the Nazareth letter here that may have some hidden information that I can't see. I've already blanked out the one that's still alive.

Comment

That Janet is the biggest mystery of all. There's a story that the potato famine or the B&T's may have been the cause, Nanna seemed to be of the belief that they wanted Tommy to join them. I don't know what to believe.

Looking at the 4 wives I'd say that it MAY have been something similar. I have the Nazareth letter here that may have some hidden information that I can't see. I've already blanked out the one that's still alive.
                The Great Famine was 1845-52 so predates your man. When you mention B&Ts are you referring to the (notorious!) Black and Tans?
                Christine
                Last edited by Karamazov; 24-04-13, 13:51.
                Researching:
                HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

That gang indeed, I was told by Mum to not mention the name on here. The Tubridy's have such large secrets that none of us trust another person with the surname or connection through another family like me. I think proof of that is another of Tommy's great Grandchildren.

Comment

That gang indeed, I was told by Mum to not mention the name on here. The Tubridy's have such large secrets that none of us trust another person with the surname or connection through another family like me. I think proof of that is another of Tommy's great Grandchildren.
                    He most probably came over during the Irish uprising which started in 1916. If your family had been known Fenians in the late 1800's, then they would have been eyed with suspicion by the Black and Tans and no doubt arrested on any pretext. My own family were involved with the Fenians in the late 1800's and one of them was arrested in Cork somewhere between 1916 and 1921. Even though families did not want the violence, they were often arrested for "hiding the boys". These were troubled times and many people left Ireland at this time. Many of my family left for England or the States. Your family are not alone with these problems!

Janet
                    Last edited by Janet; 24-04-13, 14:21.

Comment

This was the first ever connection that we ever found to our family:
                      Discover your family history and build a family tree with the world’s largest genealogy website. Search birth records, census data, obituaries and more!

A lot of that information is obviously incorrect. He is the owner of the "Royal" Tubridy tree on Mundia, not only that but he has my Aunt on FB and neither of them will tell me anything. All the information that I've found on my tree comes from either you lot, my Stockton/Military guy and the few Ancestry/Mundia/Genes connections that I've managed to contact.

Genes Reunited- it was Thomas Nephew E.J.O that contacted me, I didn't even know that they existed and that was because his Mother Honora was born in 1912 and died in 1910. He was the one who gave me the Tubridy images but he had no idea who any of the people in the pictures were although he seemed to think that the Army Man was Thomas. However the one that I call filmstar looks like Terrance (Terry).

Comment

There was also an exodus of some who had actively not supported the move for Irish independence from the UK.
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Too right! The only time I have ever heard my mother swear is in connection with B&Ts...
                          Researching:
                          HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                            There was also an exodus of some who had actively not supported the move for Irish independence from the UK.
                            Yes, I did not mean that was the only reason for leaving Ireland at that time. But Lennon had mentioned the Black and Tans and secrets and I was responding to that part of the thread, as I know many who did leave Ireland at this time for these reasons.

Lennon

Irish lore has a habit of getting passed down through the ages with truth within the lore, though you may have to dig deep to find it! County Clare was one county that suffered massively in the Great Famine of the 1840's. So many people were evicted during these times by landlords who had no compunction about burning their houses down so they could not live in them, and many were forced to seek shelter and then die in the ditches. In 1848 there was a rebellious movement known as the Young Ireland movement that sprang up in Tipperary where my ancestors are from. This grew out of the appalling conditions of the famine and eventually by the 1870's had grown massively as the landlords became worse in their treatment of the poor and the movement then became known as the Fenians which during the Irish uprising of 1916 grew into the IRA. A study of these Irish times is a very good idea as you begin to see where the family stories come from.

Janet
                            Last edited by Janet; 24-04-13, 14:54.

Comment

Any information from certs as to what he did in York? And whether he lived in the city itself or one of the boundary villages? York had 2 military barracks, the railway works, and the chocolate and cocoa works, but it was quite a small city in a rural area and not the kind of place people drifted to in search of employment. Those seeking work would have more likely gone to Hull (docks and industry) or to the West Riding cities with textiles and heavy industry.
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                                Any information from certs as to what he did in York? And whether he lived in the city itself or one of the boundary villages? York had 2 military barracks, the railway works, and the chocolate and cocoa works, but it was quite a small city in a rural area and not the kind of place people drifted to in search of employment. Those seeking work would have more likely gone to Hull (docks and industry) or to the West Riding cities with textiles and heavy industry.
                                I've taken the one that's still alive out..

Comment

Originally posted by Janet View Post
                                  Yes, I did not mean that was the only reason for leaving Ireland at that time. But Lennon had mentioned the Black and Tans and secrets and I was responding to that part of the thread, as I know many who did leave Ireland at this time for these reasons.

Janet
                                  .................. I realised that, Janet, I was just pointing out to Lennon that there are always two possibilities to family "Black and Tan" legends! And if he was first sighted in York in 1924, that is post treaty and into the civil war era, when brother fought brother. (I've always been a big Michael Collins fan, so I'll admit to not being truly impartial!)
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Pity you don't have either the marriage cert for Thomas & Florence or the birth cert for their first child. This first child wasn't born in the city of York, as the registration district is Great Ouseburn, which covers quite a large area, ranging from villages on the periphery of the city to some near Tadcaster & Boroughbridge. It could be that Florence went to her mother's for her first confinement, but this birth cert would give an occupation for Thomas in his early days in England and also indicate where the informant lived, as well as the place of birth.(1911 census shows Florence in the parental home in York city.)
                                    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 24-04-13, 15:26.
                                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

The difficult thing about Florence is that she's adopted, according to Nanna, Florence' Father abandoned his Wife and so Florence has the name of her stepfather but I think that's just another myth.

Comment

The difficult thing about Florence is that she's adopted, according to Nanna, Florence' Father abandoned his Wife and so Florence has the name of her stepfather but I think that's just another myth.
                                        But how would that affect the details on the BC and what was recorded for Thomas's occupation, the place where the child was born and the name & address of the informant??........... ETA Sorry, I forgot to post this link, showing all the places in Gt Ouseburn Reg dist http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/d...0ouseburn.html
                                        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 24-04-13, 15:38.
                                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                                        X