mary siminson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mary siminson

i have the will of frances reed, dated 4 jul 1851. she died 1859 at neasham durham.

she leaves everything to her niece mary clementson (nee reed) and 10 pounds to each of her children frances rushforth, elizabeth major, ann westwick, margaret robinson (all nee clementson) matthew clementson and mary clementson. all of them are sorted.

she also left 10 pounds to 'mary siminson', 'the daughter of my late niece elizabeth reed'. i can't find a suitable mary in the 1851 census. i'm having trouble trying to figure out if reed and siminson are maiden names or married names. mary clementson was not referred to by her maiden name, so would her dead cousin be?

frances reed was b.1773 neasham, according to census records. the actual records are not online before 1812 i believe, which are on freereg. neasham is part of the parish of hurworth, and i have mary reed marrying matthew clementson there in 1815. all of their kid's are present in the records. census records say mary was b.1797 hornby yorks. i can't find a birth for her there in that parish, and don't know her parents names, so i can't prove elizabeth reed from the will is her sister, or a cousin. i don't know if elizabeth and her daughter mary are from neasham (no births for mary under either name there) or yorkshire.

there is a mary simonson b.1825 coxwold, but her mother was elizabeth nawton.

i know it's not a lot to go on, but can anyone spot anything?

"Mary was born Hornby Yorks" - there is a parish of Hornby in the N Yorks dales, but there's also a parish of Hawnby, North Yorks, which is in the Coxwold area. ... Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

i took it to be hornby, richmond area, which is a 15 minute drive from neasham. hawnby near coxwold is an hour away.

Comment

If Frances Reed was b 1773 - any brother would have been born in a similar time frame. I am assuming Elizabeth was the daughter of a brother as her surname was Reed

Any child born to that brother (?Elizabeth) was possibly born before 1800

Any child born to that niece (Elizabeth Reed) would have been born around 1820 or possibly earlier and married by 1851 hence the reference to Siminson. It may also be that Mary was Elizabeth's illegitimate daughter as Elizabeth is referred to as Reed

I think you are looking for the birth of a daughter Mary Reed mother Elizabeth and the marriage of a Mary Reed to a Siminson.

Depending on the ages of everybody at the time of these events - any marriage for Mary may possibly have just been pre-1837

Comment

thanks carole, i was thinking alongside those lines. i did note that some bishop's transcripts exist on familysearch for hurworth, pre 1812, but they skip around a lot, so not all years are covered.

i did note a thomas reed married a mary moffitt in 1792, and since mary reed was b.1797, they could be her parents, or elizabeth's at any rate.

it's the wording that confuses me. i can't tell if elizabeth reed was a spinster, and her daughter mary married a siminson. or if elizabeth married a siminson, and was recorded as 'reed' in the will because she was deceased. very frustrating no addresses or the brother's name was given.

Comment

Kyle, I wonder have you seen this record? I imagine the name Siminson will have been spelt in many different ways.

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!

However, there's this marriage which fits with the above couple and brides father is John!!

marriage: 28 Dec 1845 Leake, York, England

William Simeson age 24, father Thomas Simeson

Mary Reed, age 28, father John Reed.

Comment

that's not them on the census, they have a son william smelt simonson, and the parents appear to be william simonson and mary smelt married 1845 billingham, durham.

but that marriage of william to mary reed looks interesting. i guess elizabeth could have been a maternal niece, and married a reed?

Comment

I've now found this marriage which is probably the marriage for the couple in the 1851 census posted above (they had a child William SMELT Simonson)

27 Jan 1845 Billingham,Durham,England

William Simonson/Mary Smelt

Comment

Snap!!

Comment

Working...
                  X