Can't find this place - Aughereny, Dungannon, Co Tyrone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't find this place - Aughereny, Dungannon, Co Tyrone

I am hoping someone might be able to help re pinning down the location for Eliza Richardson as below:

March 13 1841
    On the 1st inst., by the Rev. Mr. Armstrong, the REV. MR. HOWIE, Wesleyan Minister, Dungannon, to MISS ELIZA RICHARDSON, of Aughereny, near Dungannon

I've tried googling and also checked townland names in Co Tyrone from the Griffith Valuation but can't find Aughereny or approximations with slightly variant spellings ...
    Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Christine
    Researching:
    HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

it looks like its in Co Armargh

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
      it looks like its in Co Armargh
      But Dungannon is in Co Tyrone....and it's definitely Dungannon, Co Tyrone where William Howie was the minister.
      Are you saying Aughereny near dungannon is just over the county border in Co Armagh? If so, I still can't locate it ...
      Last edited by Karamazov; 22-04-13, 22:14.
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

found this in the WIKI

Comment

It's spelt augherainey and is just outside Donaghmore co tyrone

Comment

Aghareany Rd

Comment

Hi Monty,
              Thanks for the information and map link. It looks like the Aghareany spelling is used in the Griffith Valuation. The GV section of the Ask About Ireland site is down for maintenance at the moment but I'll do some more digging once it's up and running again, more for background info than anything else.
              The newspaper announcement re the 1841 marriage is the only indication I have of Eliza Richardson's existence - not even a father's name to go on... So I still wouldn't be able to connect her definitely with any Richardsons I might find in Griffiths approx 20 years after her death.
              She must have died soon after the marriage, as William Hoey (this is the correct spelling) married again in Dungannon in June 1842. No evidence of any children from the first marriage. Unfortunately, all this predates civil registration, so I think she may end up being a straw floating in the wind...
              Christine
              Last edited by Karamazov; 02-01-14, 08:31.
              Researching:

Comment

The townland is usually listed as Aghareany. It’s 341 acres in size and is in the parish of Donaghmore. Here are the occupants in the 1901 census:

The revaluation records for Aghareany list a Hill Richardson on plots 6a to 6d (a farm, outbuildings and 50 acres), plus a Mary Richardson on plot 6e, which was a house and an outbuilding, on that same farm. James Brown acquired the farm from the Richardsons in 1872.

Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Elwyn View Post

The revaluation records for Aghareany list a Hill Richardson on plots 6a to 6d (a farm, outbuildings and 50 acres), plus a Mary Richardson on plot 6e, which was a house and an outbuilding, on that same farm. James Brown acquired the farm from the Richardsons in 1872.

http://applications.proni.gov.uk/DCA...2b/Search.aspx
                  Thanks Elwyn. The original Griffith Valuation records via the Ask About Ireland website - which is how I generally search for the original entries, maps etc - are out of commission for the time being as per this message on their website:
                  Maintenance and Performance Upgrade
                  2 Jan 2014: This service is currently undergoing maintenance and performance upgrade. We anticipate it will be available again in a few weeks.

So my next port call would have been the revaluation records - thanks for saving me the job.
                  Christine
                  Researching:

Comment

So, the marriage was found in http://www.cotyroneireland.com/marriages/dungannon.html ?

Aghareany can be found in

and
                    The MICHELIN Aghareany map: Aghareany town map, road map and tourist map, with MICHELIN hotels, tourist sites and restaurants for Aghareany
                    Joy

Comment

So, the marriage was found in http://www.cotyroneireland.com/marriages/dungannon.html ?

Joy,
                      Yes, that's where I found it. William Hoey's second marriage to Jane Barnett is also mentioned on the same webpage.
                      (For info - having doublechecked with an Irish Methodist archivist, there is no doubt that William Howie (sic) and William Hoey are the same person. He served as the minister in Dungannon for 2 years up to the end of June 1842, when he moved on to Irvinestown (aka Lowtherstown).
                      Thanks for the map link.
                      Christine
                      Last edited by Karamazov; 03-01-14, 23:31.
                      Researching:

Comment

Working...
                      X