Irish Cert help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Cert help please

Patrick Keegan Death.jpgUnder Patrick Keegans name it says Dublin does that mean where he was born ? as the Death is registered in Cork.
    I am positive its the right man but in 1901 and 1911 he says born in City of Cork not Dublin?
    Thanks

Is that 1919 or 1929 hard to read, and am I seeing right it has a cross of a tick near Dublin in Surname coluom, Lizzy

Comment

Hi Liz its 1929 and yes the Dublin has a cross next to it

Comment

Is Dublin a continuation of the address? Sorry, Val, it's a bit too small for me to read properly. Is place of death Little Sisters of the Poor, can't read the next word - is it county?
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Hi Janet thanks for looking ,I am not sure if the place he died is in Cork or Dublin but the death is registered in Cork,

Comment

It means that Dublin was his normal place of residence at the time of his death. It does not mean he was born there.
            Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

oh thanks Elwyn, I dont really understand why was it registered in Cork then ?

Comment

A death must be registered in the place it occurred. I would suggest thhat he died in Cork, even though he normally lived in Dublin. It was probably not known where he was born. only that he had recently lived in Dublin

Comment

As Shirley says it was evidently where he died. I have never seen an Irish death certificate which records where someone was born. That is not information required on a death cert. However where a person dies somewhere other than their normal residential address, it is standard practice in Ireland to record their home address as well as the place of death. That's what appears to have happened here.
                  Elwyn

I am based in Co. Antrim and undertake research in Northern Ireland. Please feel free to contact me for help or advice via PM.

Comment

thanks for your replies ,I didn't expect to see his place of birth just thought it meant he was living in Dublin when he died, so was puzzled about it being registered in Cork, but think I understand now thanks.

Comment

Can you tell me anything else about him like who he was married to and when he was born. Little Sister of the Poor are Carmalite Nuns who look after the sick and ailing and are still in Dublin today.
                      So it looks like he died in Dublin at the Hospital but his death was registered in Cork which is the way they do it in Ireland have been doing a lot of research on deaths in Ireland, also Cork has many areas do you know what area he was from so I can go on a hunt for you, Lizzy

Comment

thats very nice of you to offer Liz I have not found his Birth details all I know is from his marriage, and the 1901 and 1911 census.

1890 Marriage in St Finbarrs he is an Engineer

1895 Marriage of Daughter he is an Engine Driver

1901 Census he is is an Enginer in a Brewery

1911 Census he is a Railway Engine Driver

1908 Death of Son he is a Fireman

1929 Death he is an Engineer

thanks very much
                        up to his death he was in No 7 Urban Cork
                        Last edited by Guest; 23-04-13, 09:42.

Comment

Have you looked on here for his baptism? Several Patrick Keegans

This Irish Government supported, official web site, is dedicated to helping you in your search for records of family history for past generations.
                          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Engine Drivers in Cork often lived in specific areas as they were the elite of working people at the time you are talking about. I have several Cork Engine Drivers at this time and all of mine are living either Kilbarry Cottages Dublin Hill Cork or Lower Road Cork. Glanmire Road is another area for Engine Drivers and of course many of these Cork Engine Drivers went to work and live in Dublin, as did mine, and then they were back and forwards Dublin to Cork, living in the same areas. I do not know all the Cork areas for Engine Drivers but the three I have mentioned are certainly three of the main ones in Cork as I have met many other Engine Driver families coming from these same areas. If you can meet up with someone who knows your family, then you will find the same sort of familiarity. Phibsborough in Dublin was also Engine Driver country as I have found a number of railway families there, including my own.

Janet
                            Last edited by Janet; 23-04-13, 10:20.

Comment

Is this your Patrick Keegan.
                              South Main Street,No.7 Urban, Cork.
                              1901 Census.
                              Patrick Keegan age 44
                              Mary Keegan age 34
                              Children.
                              Mary Kate Keegan age 10
                              Michael age 8
                              Josephine age 6
                              Willie age 2
                              Also according to Vital Records he was born abt 1857 in City of Cork, Lizzy

Comment

Just had a look at the 1911 Census accoding to that Patrick was born in Dublin the rest of his family were born in Cork, so on his D/C is says Dublin and Registered in Cork so that could now be the answer to way Dublin is on it, Lizzy

Comment

Gee! that just did my head in according to the 1901 Census he is born in the City of Cork, I will keep looking, sorry, Lizzy

Comment

Sorry had to go out thanks for looking,yes thats him Liz, and thanks Janet he lived in Great Georges Street and South Main Street in Cork for a while.
                                    I would love to find just one member of the family that knows a bit about his Daughter, but her two Brothers died when young and cannot find what happened to her Sister.
                                    Thanks Wendy I did find his two Sons on there but not his two Daughters.
                                    Last edited by Guest; 23-04-13, 15:56.

Comment

Originally posted by liz hutchison View Post
                                      So it looks like he died in Dublin at the Hospital but his death was registered in Cork which is the way they do it in Ireland have been doing a lot of research on deaths in Ireland.
                                      Lizzy,
                                      This hasn't been my experience with Irish death certs. My grandfather, for example, lived most of his life in Co Donegal, but towards the end of his life, was receiving hospital treatment in Dublin where he died and where his death was registered. I asked a member of staff at GRO Dublin when I got his death cert, if such deaths were registered in the "home" district or the district where death occurred, and for what it's worth, he was categorical that a death is recorded in the district where it occurred.
                                      Christine
                                      Last edited by Karamazov; 23-04-13, 21:15.
                                      Researching:
                                      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

so are you saying Karamazov he must have died in Cork as its registered there?

Comment

Working...
                                        X