What happened to Henry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Henry?

My 3x Great Grandfather Henry Murr Lockton was born 1866 in Grantham Lincolnshire, his parents were Charles and Martha Lockton.

On the 1871 census Henry is living with his mother in Grantham. On the 1881 census Henry is still in Grantham living with his mother and a George Wright.

1887 Henry married Rebecca Ward in Grantham.

Rebecca and Henry have a son named John Henry born 1888 and died 1889 Grantham. In 1890 Rebecca and Henry have a daughter Emma in Sheffield.

On the 1891 census Rebecca and Emma are living in Grantham with Rebecca's sister Emma Hubbard. Henry is living in Mexborough Yorkshire. In Oct 1891 Emma is baptised in Mexborough Yorkshire.

On the 1901 census I can no trace of Rebecca or Henry, their daughter Emma is living in grantham with her aunt Emma Hubbard.

Rebecca Lockton dies November 1906 in Sculcoates Yorkshire, Emma Hubbard was the informant and it states on the death cert that Rebecca is the widow of Henry Lockton.

I haven't been able to find a death for Henry and I can find no immigration records for him. A couple of days ago I found a settlement record, on ancestry, for Henry Lockton in Hackney Jan 1906. I can't find anything for Henry after this date.

I have found some newspaper articles for Rebecca and as from 1895 it is stated that she is a widow. On the poor law record on ancestry Henry states that he is single.

Any help would be truly appreciated.

Kelly

Put into your Google search Henry Murr Lockton a few post come up on him including one on this site 6th september 2008 , lizzy

Comment

Hi Lizzy,

The posts are mine.

I originally thought that Henry had died between 1891 and 1906 when Rebecca died. But ancestry have some new poor law records on ancestry and I found Henry listed in them in 1906. I still haven't been able to find him on the 1901, 1911 census or find his death.

Comment

are you sure thats your Henry in Hackney ??

Comment

sorry cannot find anything

Comment

This is the only thing I could find. He could have signed on as the age was raised to 51 later in the war. Can't find any Service records.

There is however a Leicestershire family with a son Harry who could fit the above. They also had a son Joseph who died at the end of the War.

Vera

Comment

Hi Val,

Im 95% certain it is my Henry, the occupation matches and there was only one Henry Lockton born Grantham at that time.

Hi Vera,

I think the record you found is for an Harry Asher Lockton.

Comment

On the settlement record it states that Henry had spent 4 years travelling with a switchback, im wondering if Henry left Hackney and carried on travelling with the switchback. But I still can't understand why I cant find a death for him.

Comment

If he travelled with the fair, could they have gone as far north as Scotland?
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I have no idea Janet, but it is possible.

Comment

Have you looked on scotland'speople just in case he should have died over the border? Might be worth checking out the index for elimination purposes?
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I have had a look on Scotlandspeople and there are no deaths for Henry.

Comment

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/ca...7/LOCKTON,%20H

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/596164/LOCKTON,%20H%20A

Hello Kelly

Although I am not convinced about the H Lockton being yours, there is also a record for Harry Asher

Vera
                          Last edited by vera2013; 22-04-13, 12:30.

Comment

Hi Vera,

Just had a look on ancestry the only record I can find for H Lockton is in the UK, Soldiers died in the Great War.

That record says Harry Lockton born Leicestershire.

on the 1911 there is a Harry Lockton born 1889 Leicestershire also one born 1897 Harry Augustus Lockton born 1897 Leicestershire and Harry Asher Lockton born 1888.

Comment

Hello Kelly

The Harry Lockton b 1889 is the Leics family with brother Joseph who died just after the war. The H Lockton is most likely him but no service records I can find to confirm. There are some for brother Joseph.

Vera

Comment

I agree Vera, I have found the death records for the other Harry Lockton's.

Comment

Have you considered this death?

Henry Lockton, age 76, Jan - Mar 1942, Birmingham, 6d/35

Comment

I found a note on Ancestrys settlement records saying he had not been seen by the owner of the switchback for a couple of years ?? I'll see if I can find it again

Comment

have you seen this seems he was only with that man for about 4 weeks not years
                                      Last edited by Guest; 22-04-13, 23:58.

Comment

There is a Hy Loxton a labourer going to Canada 15 May 1906 ? maybe a mistranscription

Comment

Working...
                                        X