Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Catherine Thorogood (Finch) 1807-1888: in 1841?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catherine Thorogood (Finch) 1807-1888: in 1841?

Hello Forum, my first post so apologies in advance if I get any of the protocol wrong. Catherine was the daughter of William Finch and Ruth Barnes, born Billingford Norfolk, married Edward Thorogood in Stepney 1844, lived in Chelmsford Essex through censuses 1851-1881, died 1888. Her marriage was relatively late - she was around 37 - but I can find nothing of her between Baptism and Wedding, including the 1841 Census. Her marriage was in Tower Hamlets where her older sister Maria (Woodhouse) lived but she was not with that family for the 1841. I've tried Ancestry, Find My Past, and Family Search to include name variants; none of the hits look convincing. Any advice would be appreciated!
    X IannF his mark

Hi Ian,
    Congratulations on deciding to take the plunge and to post a query on the FTF boards!
    Jay
    Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 21-04-13, 11:47.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

You might all ready have this,
      Probate of her Will.
      The Will of Catherine Thorogood (wife of Edward Thorogood)
      late of 53 Duke Street, Chemsford in the County of Essex
      Who died 14th August 1888 at 53 Duke Street,was proved at the Principal,
      by the said Edward Thorogood of 53 Duke Street, a Gardener and Sole Executor.
      the amount was 311 pound and 16 shillings and 2 pennys.
      Probate was granted on 28th August 1888.
      Just a bitty of trivia
      Charlotte Thorogood also married the same day as Catherine and Edward to Robert Harris and Edward and Catherine were their witnesses 22nd September 1844.Lizzy

Comment

Originally posted by IannF View Post
        Hello Forum, my first post so apologies in advance if I get any of the protocol wrong. Catherine was the daughter of William Finch and Ruth Barnes, born Billingford Norfolk, married Edward Thorogood in Stepney 1844, lived in Chelmsford Essex through censuses 1851-1881, died 1888. Her marriage was relatively late - she was around 37 - but I can find nothing of her between Baptism and Wedding, including the 1841 Census. Her marriage was in Tower Hamlets where her older sister Maria (Woodhouse) lived but she was not with that family for the 1841. I've tried Ancestry, Find My Past, and Family Search to include name variants; none of the hits look convincing. Any advice would be appreciated!
        Have you got the marriage record for Catherine and Edward? Just wondering if she had been married before and is on the 1841 under a previous married surname.

Margaret

Comment

No probs will have a look for you, it says she is a spinster. Found a few Catherine Finch in 1841 Census will take a look at them. Do you know what her occupation was ? Lizzy

Comment

Thanks for the very quick responses. Thank you Jay for the welcome and Margaret for the suggestion. I had the probate details Liz but not the link with the Charlotte/Robert wedding at which they were witnesses; that's useful, so thanks. I can't find anything to indicate an occupation and the other entries for 1841 - including various Caths, Kates and Kittys - either have very improbable UK locations or turn up in the 1851 where I already have my distant aunt.
            X IannF his mark

Comment

Dont worry still looking just had a look at William Finch,s WWill to see if there were any clues but none. Lizzy

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                Have you got the marriage record for Catherine and Edward? Just wondering if she had been married before and is on the 1841 under a previous married surname.

Margaret
                Well the marriage record on ancestry here if anyone else wants to look is clear that she is a spinster and she has given the name Finch. So if she had been married before she is either fibbing or didn't like to say she was a widow. No address given so no help there!

Margaret
                Last edited by margaretmarch; 22-04-13, 15:27.

Comment

Liz, thanks again for your 'trivia' about the wedding of Charlotte and Robert on the same day as Catherine and Edward. I'm at a beginner stage of needing help with research methods as much as getting answers so I'd really like to know how you found that information. I tried using FMP and could locate the marriage under 1837-2005 but not under the Parish registers which would have given the witnesses. I also looked on Family Search which turned up the same reference but without a link to the PR. Clearly I'm doing something wrong when also trying FreeREG because Stepney doesnt appear in either place or county lists and London produces no results. Please advise!

Ian
                  X IannF his mark

Comment

Having just submitted that enquiry about locating the wedding details of Charlotte and Robert, my guardian angel has pointed out me me that the evidence is actually on the same page of the parish register for Catherine and Edward; had I had the nous to look at the whole thing I would have seen this. Also, if I could remember how I got to that PR page in the first place my query would be unnecessary. The fact that I can't I attribute to creeping senility :-(

Ian
                    X IannF his mark

Comment

Having just submitted that enquiry about locating the wedding details of Charlotte and Robert, my guardian angel has pointed out me me that the evidence is actually on the same page of the parish register for Catherine and Edward; had I had the nous to look at the whole thing I would have seen this. Also, if I could remember how I got to that PR page in the first place my query would be unnecessary. The fact that I can't I attribute to creeping senility :-(

Ian
                      I have posted the link to the copy of the parish register on ancestry here it is again http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=2091261

Margaret

Comment

Liz, thanks again for your 'trivia' about the wedding of Charlotte and Robert on the same day as Catherine and Edward. I'm at a beginner stage of needing help with research methods as much as getting answers so I'd really like to know how you found that information. I tried using FMP and could locate the marriage under 1837-2005 but not under the Parish registers which would have given the witnesses. I also looked on Family Search which turned up the same reference but without a link to the PR. Clearly I'm doing something wrong when also trying FreeREG because Stepney doesnt appear in either place or county lists and London produces no results. Please advise!

Ian
                        Hi Ian,

the record is actually in Ancestrys LMA records, which are being scanned and are available on Ancestry. [these have been a real 'trove' for Family Historians, as before they became available on ancestry you had to go in person and look at the records @ the LMA] something which I, for one, would never had been able to do.
                        Julie
                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks to both Margaret and Julie. I started looking at family history some fifteen years ago when all that seemed available as resources, if you didn't have the time or the physical ability to go and search out original documents, were some LDS CDs, the IGI online (which I had little confidence in since the first event I looked up, my father's birth, was incorrect) and Genes Reunited. Having absolutely no regard for verifying information I used GR extensively to build up a massive, sprawling tree which in reality was just a collection of names and dates - a high proportion of which were certainly inaccurate, so I simply lost interest. At the end of last year I started again, from scratch, determined that I would include nothing which was unsupported by evidence and the difference in what is now easily available online is astonishing to the extent that I frequently get lost in it. I knew that the record I'd looked at in this case was in the London Archives but I simply couldn't remember how I got there ... sad but true.
                          Now I'm back to the point of continuing to try locating this lady in 1841, but running out of options. The last thing I can think of would be to look at all the pages for Horningtoft, where the family lived, in 1841. I'd be amazed if that proved successful though!
                          I really appreciate the time all you folks spend generously helping those less experienced, so thanks again.

Ian
                          X IannF his mark

Comment

Ian,

It IS frustrating when you cannot find them in the census, did Catherine have any siblings she could be with in the 41 census? I know that you said she wasn't with parents, could she have been with g/parents? As she married in London could she have already be there/working? I am having a look to see if there is any information about missing census and will post any findings on this thread.
                            Julie

Comment

Ian

FMP have a list of 'missing' pieces of the 1841.. seems some of london is missing, but, it hasn't mentioned anything about Norfolk.

Julie

Comment

this is the link for page 1 of horningtoft.. there are only 7 pages I had a quick look but couldn't spot her

Julie

Comment

Working...
                                X