st polten, lower austria parish records online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• st polten, lower austria parish records online

st polten, the capital of lower austria, has digitised 5 million of it's parish records from 1563 and is making them freely available online. hopefully the rest of austria will follow:

Steuern - Nachrichten: Alle Nachrichten und Informationen über Steuern in Österreich finden Sie hier auf AustrianTimes.at!

I'm impressed Kyle; have you got some Austrian blood running the the veins?

Comment

not that i know of, but this forum is high on google's list when i google something, so maybe it will come up if no one here has none from austria.

but it is also a major city, so i thought why not put it here.

Comment

Looks as if the actual material is here: http://www.dsp.at/dasp/doc/matricula.html

But you probably need to be able to read German! ... Ah, no, the Austrains have been more international-friendly: http://matricula-online.eu/?lang=en

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

would their records be in german? i would have thought austrian. we had 2 german exchange students and one austrian in high school. the austrian spoke german, bu the german's barely understood her, so i guess they are quite different languages.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
            would their records be in german? i would have thought austrian. we had 2 german exchange students and one austrian in high school. the austrian spoke german, bu the german's barely understood her, so i guess they are quite different languages.
            It's essentially the same language, but is like a strong dialect: a combination of quite a strong accent, plus some local words. I have to be in Austria for a few hours before I can feel I understand most of what's being said. The written language is very much the same.

You find some thing similar (but more extreme) with Schwitzer Dutsch (or however they actually spell what is Schweitzer Deutsch - Swiss German!). All of the different areas of Germany have their own characteristic accents/dialects. When we go to our friendly B&B on the Mosel, they have a local accent, but also a local dialect which I certainly don't understand! In the Cologne area, they speak "Kölsch" - a lot of instances of "ch" (as in Scottish "loch") get pronounced as "sh". Bavaria also has its own accent and dialect words - many of which overlap with Austrian.

It's a bit like the experience of someone used to the English of the south trying to understand a strong Geordie or Scouse accent say - or Glaswegian. In fact any strong local accent (Norfolk, Devon, Cornwall, Cockney, Medway...): the language is mostly much the same, but the accent can make it difficult to understand if it isn't your own!

Christine
            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 21-04-13, 22:30.
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

very true. i admit my grandparents leeds and darlington accents were interesting growing up.

Comment

Working...
              X