Part 2 William Edmund Hill b 1844

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Part 2 William Edmund Hill b 1844

After starting life in the workhouse my ancestor William Edmund Hill b 1844 married Abigail Burbeck in 1864 at Shoreditch and had 3 children.
    On the 1881 Census he also has another family with Frances E Atkinson including my grandfather. Frances Hill died in 1897 but that was not the end and on the 1901 Census he has another child with another woman.

In 1906 William is found guilty of stealing some furs (he was a furrier by trade) and was sentenced to 9 months hard labour.

In May 1914 the St Mary, Islington Poor Law Removal and Settlement Records he appears as William Edmund Hill age about 70 living at 19 Orchard Street, Islington in May 1914. He was ordered for removal to the Shoreditch Parish.
    Previous to that he also resided for 3 years up to 1914 at 222, Hoxton St, Shoreditch and 33 Harman St, Shoreditch.
    He also states that he has one son and two daughters address at addresses unknown and had been living apart from his wife (Abigail) for 40 years. Abigail died in 1920 at Walthamstow.

I have not found William on the 1911 Census or his death.

Peter Hill

Have you looked for him possibly emigrating?

Margaret

Comment

Margaret

I had not thought of that but would he go when he was aged 70. I will have a look though.

Peter

Comment

There's a death of a William E Hill in Wandsworth Reg Dist in Q4 1916, age 71, so age is about right. Is Wandsworth anywhere near?
        Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

The settlement record also says

Living at 33 ???Moarman Street 05/01/1914

Living 222 ???Hoxton Street November 1910 - January 1914.

Vera
          Last edited by vera2013; 19-04-13, 19:50.

Comment

wandsworth is across the river from shoreditch, in surrey.

Comment

There's no 222 Hoxton Street listed in 1911, wouldn't you just know - it jumps from 221 to 223. Oh d*mn!!!

Comment

SmallTownGirl
                The death of a William E Hill in Wandsworth Reg Dist in Q4 1916, age 71 is not mine as I have traced him on various censuses.

Vera and Susan

I have looked at these addresses and as you say 222 Hoxton St does not exist. I am going to look at the Electorial Rolls to see if it ever existed.

Peter

Comment

After more searches and a couple of no good death certificates I believe that I have found my GGrandfathers death in 1921.
                  There was a death of William Hill aged 77 in the CLU Infirmary Bow Road. The Infirmary being City of London Institution which treated the chronically ill from Workhouses around the area. He died on 9th June 1921 and was removed by friends on 11th June.

I have ordered the death certificate and hope there may be a bit more information.

Does any body know how I can find out who his friends would be?
                  Are there any crematoriums records on line as there appears to be no record of him on Deceased on line?

Peter

Comment

Working...
                  X