Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FamilySearch unveils new web features

From the WDYTYA Magazine website:

The global genealogy organisation has finally revealed its new-look website, enabling family historians to share their photographs and collaborate with other researchers completely free of charge

The newly enhanced version of www.familysearch.org allows genealogists across the globe to build, preserve and manage their research through an application named Family Tree, previously only available to members of the Church of Latter-day Saints.

Information about ancestors is then viewable in a basic pedigree format or as an interactive, colour-coded ‘Fan Chart’ displaying six generations at once.

In addition, the free site provides storage space for up to 5,000 photographs which can be labelled using tagging software. Each individual in the tree is allocated a public page to which stories about their lives can be added, as well as source citations linked to the website’s billions of historic records.

The most significant development, however, is that the new site encourages researchers to connect with other users, offering opportunities for collaboration and thereby cutting down the number of duplicate entries. These findings can then be shared via social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter, enabling living relatives to add further comment and insight.

As with before the relaunch, users are also able to help out with many of FamilySearch's transcription projects. A recent campaign to transcribe all 3.8 million pages of the 1940 US Census from the digital scans was completed by volunteers in the space of just five months.

“Every person who has ever lived has a right to be remembered and is a story waiting to be told,” says FamilySearch CEO, Dennis C Brimhall.

“We all treasure memorable family photos and ancestral stories that inspire, amuse, or connect us. Families can now share and preserve for posterity those social heirlooms that help vitalise their family history.”

Carol

It's worth comparing the site's own blurb with these blogs from Genealogy's Star:

Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I tried to use the 'new look' site this morning and came up with no results for my search!
      I knew I had got information about this person from there before and, sure enough, when I went to Hugh Wallis' site I found the information straight away.

Why do they have to fiddle with sites when they are working perfectly............or is it just me?
      My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

I mainly use the site for looking at the images of Norfolk PR, an opportunity for which I am extremely grateful to the LDS Church. So my main eeeeek moment, initially, was "how on earth do I get in to the general search page?" Haven't tried any other searches yet, apart from a couple of US ones when I didn't get any hits, but I hadn't really expected any results anyway.
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Useful links on the site:

After raising the issue of the difficulty in finding and accessing some of the really useful features of FamilySearch in my post yesterday...
          Caroline
          Caroline's Family History Pages
          Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Working...
          X