Bit of a puzzle with finding a marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bit of a puzzle with finding a marriage

am looking for the Father of a James Smith born abt 1875 St Giles ,here he is in 1891 with his Mother Charlotte E Smith born abt 1851 in Marylebone and two sisters

she descibes herself as a widow on both

and in 1881

any help appreciated thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 18-04-13, 17:41.

Have you considered this one? - bride's father was a bootmaker. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=4097280
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

thanks Janet thats interesting ,Only thing is she says Charlotte E in 1891 and 1901 that says Charlotte Sarah ?
      will see if I can find his death, blimey a Smeath marrying a Smith thanks

Comment

just found her birth in 1850 Staines ?? so not her thanks again

Comment

starting to wonder if she ever did marry?

Comment

James' sister Sarah married Stephen William Lawler, St Giles in the Field, 17 Jul 1898. On the marriage cert her father is named as James Smith.

Comment

oh thanks so much Susan I have been looking at marriages but not found that

Comment

In 1891 Charlotte has some Brooks children with her listed as nephew/nieces, they are also with Charlotte and her dau Sarah (now married to Stephen Lawler) in 1901.

A possible marriage .............. Sept 1870 Strand, 1b/857, Charlotte Elizabeth Brooks and also indexed a James Smith

Comment

thanks again just found that marriage she wasn't married for long ? really appreciate your help its solved a few queries.

Comment

I had been busy cross checking marriages for James Smith to a Charlotte with likely births for those Charlottes between 1849 and 1851. However, the only one that seems to fit if this is the right marriage is Charlotte Elizabeth Brooks Dec 1848 Marylebone.
                    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

thats nice of you Chrissie thanks I am coming to the same conclusion,have been trying to find them in 1871 ? but not having any luck its awkward when you dont know when and where he was born,and he must have died between abt 1876 and 1881 .
                      Last edited by Guest; 18-04-13, 21:57.

Comment

When I tried to bring up the deaths, with it being Smith it would give them to me unless I chose a specific place of one querter:D
                        In 1871, the only one I found that seemed to fit at all was a gas fitter or something and on the marriage of the daughter he was to do with boots, like Charlotte was.
                        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

The gas fitter (1871) is here in 1881. http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1881&indiv=1

Comment

I think I am going slowly mad?? I have Charlotte in 1881 saying widow ? I am sure its her she is a Boot Machinist and has Son James and Daughter Charlotte with her, in 1891 says widow Boot machinist and James is a Cutler which it also says on his marriage.
                            Am I confusing two families ??????????:conf:
                            Last edited by Guest; 18-04-13, 22:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                              I think I am going slowly mad?? I have Charlotte in 1881 saying widow ? I am sure its her she is a Boot Machinist and has Son James and Daughter Charlotte with her, in 1891 says widow Boot machinist and James is a Cutler which it also says on his marriage.
                              Am I confusing two families ??????????:conf:
                              Sorry Val, I think I confused you as I posted a link to ANOTHER James and Charlotte, this was in response to #12 where Chrissie mentioned a Gas Fitter.

Calm down hun, you have the right family, and here's Charlotte's (dau) marriage.

Comment

Val, have you found Charlotte's dau Sarah in 1881?

Comment

oh phew thank goodness Susan ,Thanks for helping , no hadn't got that marriage either or Sarah in 1881 been trying to find James the Fathers Death or them in 1871.

Comment

what is that occupation for James a Boot ??? Closer can you read it ?

Comment

Yes, he's a Boot Closer

Comment

ah thanks maybe I can find him by occupation now

Comment

Working...
                                        X