census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• census

Could anyone look up an 1861 census on the Channel island ,Jersey, for a William Charteris .
    Much obliged
    EP

Can you give any further details to narrow the search a bit...i.e, date of birth, family members?

Beverley

Comment

Was he a Captain or a Reverant?? lizzy

Comment

Apologies for not getting back to you , in bed for a week !

He was born 1810c in Wamphray Dumfrieshire,Scotland. He was the Reverend William Charteris , missionary . He married Eliza Lewis on Malta in 1854 , but not sure if she was with him on the Channel Islands . Any information on his time there would be much appreciated .
        EP

Comment

Can't see any sign of William in the Channel Islands in 1861. Ancestry has several submissions in their 'matching records' section, none of which indicate time spent in the Channel Islands, but suggest he was sent to Salonika, then Smyrna after his marriage to Eliza (3rd wife) in Malta

Beverley

Comment

BEVERLY ,
            Thanks for info , one or two leads to follow up . He moved around a lot !

Evelyn

Comment

Hi Margaret , it worked , thanks
              Evelyn

Comment

Beverly ,

Did a bit of googling about and can confirm William was on Alderney from 1864 to 1869 (courtesy of Elaine ). The bad news is he was minister of the Presbyterian Church ,and that is one of the churches where the records were totally destroyed in WW2,as a result of the occupation . So no record of his time on Alderney exists. Unless newspaper records survived that looks like a dead end . Bit of a disappointment ,as I don`t have a death for his wife Eliza,and I was hoping to find a mention of her , or not which would give me a timeline.
                Thanks as always
                Evelyn

Comment

Working...
                X