Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost in Space..

Or perhaps Bristol:p

I'm trying to track some distant family members back beyond the 1901 England Census but just cannot pin them down. Anyone care to assist;D

1901 England Census Bedminster St John, Bristol, 8 Quantock Road

Sarah Locke Widow 48 (b. abt 1853) Bristol
    Florence Locke Dau 26 (b. abt 1874) Cardiff
    Frederick Locke Son 30 (b. abt 1871) Bristol

There are also details of Frederick's wife, Edith, and 2 children but they are not the issue.

I cannot trace Sarah, Florence and Frederick back through the 1891, 1881 and 1871 censuses.

The marriage record from Frederick and Edith (Q4 1896 Bedminster 5c 1263) show Frederick name as Frederick Alexander. There is a birth record for Frederick Alexander in 1867, Bristol and in the 1871 census there is a 3 year old Fredk Locke but the parents are Henry and Annie. Furthermore I have baptism records (1 Mar 1876 Cardiff I think) for a Frederick Alexander and a Florence Mary Locke, children of Henry (deceased) and Mary Locke.

Are these all one and the same people. How has Mary become Sarah. Where are they in the 1881 and 1891 census?

Any help welcomed.

Thanks

Dermot

There is a Sarah Locke aged 36, visitor, single born St. Pauls Bristol in Toxteth in 1891 http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec?h...c=&pid=4000082
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

Do you have Frederick and Edith's marriage certificate? That should show Frederick's father, who hopefully is Sarah's husband and alive in 1891 to help with the search.
      Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
      Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
      Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
      Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
      Devine in Ireland

Comment

The marriage record in qtr 4, 1896, Bedminster, appears to be for a Frederick Alexander Locke and an Ellen Sophia Wilkins. Is this correct?

merleyone

Comment

I can't see anything either.. sorry it does seem odd though that they can't be found, you can kind of expect it in one census, but not 3!..
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

It's a bit of a puzzler
            Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
            http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Do you think they may have married here

England, Bristol Parish Registers, 1538-1900

Name: Ellen Mary Locke
              Event: Christening
              Event Date: 21 Sep 1898
              Event Place: Bedminster, St Michael and All Angels, Somersetshire, England
              Father: Frederick Alexander Locke
              Mother: Edith Rose Locke

Name: Elsie Florence Emily Locke
              Event: Christening
              Event Date: 21 Sep 1898
              Event Place: Bedminster, St Michael and All Angels, Somersetshire, England
              Father: Frederick Alexander Locke
              Mother: Edith Rose Locke
              Last edited by Elaine; 15-04-13, 22:31.
              Elaine

Comment

There is a death for a Henry Lock,age 34 years, Dec Q 1874 Cardiff 11A - 174

bcbrit
                George, Uren, Toy - Cornwall. Barrows, Blair, Bowyer, Freeth, Green, Manie - London

Comment

Do you have Sarah Lock's death? That could confirm she was married to Henry, and might possibly show if her full name was Mary Sarah (or Sarah Mary).

Having said that, I have a lady who changed her name between censuses, and that turned out to be because she'd married biganously and was clearly terrified of being found.

Comment

Baptism Register for St John the Baptist, Cardiff (original image viewed on FMP)
                    March 1st 1876, both are children of Henry and Annie Locke. Henry is described as Engineer (deceased). The address is given as 1 Letty St but the 'y' could be suspect. Baptised by the Curate, J K Law.
                    Frederick Alexander Locke (born 3 June 1867)
                    Florence Mary Locke (born 10 August 1874)
                    Last edited by col48; 16-04-13, 15:57. Reason: underline Annie

Comment

Births (from FreeBMD) - confirming above info
                      Ellen Mary Locke, Bedminster District 5c 656 1898 Q3
                      Elsie Florence E Locke, Bedminster District 5c 674 1897 Q1

Marriage (from FreeBMD) - Bedminster 5c 1263 1896 Q4
                      Frederick Alexander Locke to Edith Rose Isaac
                      There are two others on the same page...
                      William David Stone and Ellen Sophia Wilkins who can be found (as William David Stone and Ellen S Stone) at 15 Churchill Rd Bristol on the 1901 Census

Comment

Marriage (from FreeBMD) - Bristol District 6a 185 1866 Q3
                        Henry Locke
                        Sarah Jones
                        also on the same page Charles E Sutcliffe and Eliza M A Rogers who I can't find in 1871 so this may be irrelevant

Comment

The 1871 Census entry referred to in the OP
                          2531/124/20 8 Lower Bedford Place, parish of St James, Bristol
                          includes what might be three households (3 'heads') or three families in one household (the address is given only once). Everyone except the second person was b Bristol

Henry Locke Snr, head, M, 53, Commercial Clerk (Brewery) [I think that's what it says]
                          Sarah ditto, wife, M, 63, b Blakeney Glos
                          Henrietta ditto, dau, Unmarried [not very clear], 33, unemployed
                          Sarah ditto, dau, ditto, 27, unemployed
                          Mary ditto, dau, ditto, 35, unemployed
                          Henry Locke Jnr, head, M, 31, Engineer (working)
                          Annie ditto, wife, M, 22
                          Frederick ditto, son, 3
                          Arthur ditto, son, 1
                          William ditto, son, 2
                          John B May, head, M, 53, Brewers Traveller
                          Anne ditto, wife, M, 50

The third family is presumably genealogically irrelevant.

I think it plausible that this shows Henry+Annie+Frederick of my post #10.

Comment

The senior family are at 8 something Bush Lane, castle ward, Bristol in 1861 (1715/42/22).
                            Henry aged 43, Master Engineer
                            Sarah aged 57, born Ayr Glos [that's clearly what it says!!]
                            Henrietta 24
                            Henry, 22, engineer
                            Sarah, 18
                            together with
                            Mary Inman, stepdaughter, 28, shopwoman, born Ayr Glos [again!!]

All bar the first two are unmarried.

Comment

I think you need certificates to show whether the Bristol families are really yours but it's a shame there is the 1881-91 gap, and, as for Florence, maybe this is she:

Marriage 1902 Q1 Bristol District 6a 177
                              William Dawson
                              Florence Mary Locke
                              (the other two people on the page are definitely married to each other in 1911)

But if so, I can't find William and Florence in the 1911 census

Comment

I take it you are using something other than Ancestry Col?

[the only reason I ask id that if you use Ancestry then it is quite difficult to search using the piece/folio when you use the 'new search']

I wonder if the family went abroad?
                                Julie

Comment

oooh there is Henry LOCASSI b. bristol in WALES in 1891 though it says he is single

Julie

Comment

Julie
                                    I use findmypast. There is a census reference search facility. You can also use FreeCEN, but they don't have 1901 or 1911 or most of 1881 and the coverage is not yet 100%.

Comment

I came up with much the same and certainly the Florence/Dawson marriage. This might be a good place to have a search

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

found the 2 baptisms there
                                      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by col48 View Post
                                        Julie
                                        I use findmypast. There is a census reference search facility. You can also use FreeCEN, but they don't have 1901 or 1911 or most of 1881 and the coverage is not yet 100%.
                                        ahh thought so, :smilee: I use ancestry but using the info you found I was able to find the family in the census.

I'll put the findings on here so that if Dermot comes back then he can see if he uses ancestry what you have found.

1881: http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1881&indiv=1
                                        Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 2487; Folio: 65; Page: 20; GSU roll: 1341599.

1871:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1871&indiv=1
                                        Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 2531; Folio: 124; Page: 20; GSU roll: 835256.

1861:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1861&indiv=1
                                        Source Citation: Class: RG 9; Piece: 1715; Folio: 42; Page: 22; GSU roll: 542855.

^^^^the address to me looks like No6 Starry Bush Lane... [I guess that's not right then!!...lol]
                                        EDIT TO SAY: it is MARY BUSH LANE... [I looked at the previous page!]

1851:http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1851&indiv=1
                                        Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece: 1954; Folio: 381; Page: 32; GSU roll: 87354.

1841: not found them yet!
                                        Last edited by Darksecretz; 16-04-13, 20:22.
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X