Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change of Name by Deed Poll

Hi

I wonder if I could ask for some advice please? My grandfather changed his name by deed poll in the early 1960s I think to the name of the lady he was living with. His death certificate shows his surname as that of the change of name.

My question is where can I find if there is a change of name by deed poll and if so where to obtain a copy of the change of name document? I appreciate that sometimes peoples changed their name and did not go through a legal process and hence wished to check this out.

Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks

Gill

Gill, there is a research guide produced by TNA which might help
    Elaine

Comment

Contrary to popular belief, it has always been possible to change your name without having to register the change with any official body. It is still perfectly legal for anyone over the age of 16 to start using a new name at any time, as long as they are not doing so for a fraudulent or illegal reason.
      So does this explain why my mysterious Mary Chapman was buried as Mary Thomas without ever marrying Evan Thomas?
      Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

You can call yourself whatever you like, providing the change of name is not done for illegal purposes.
        If she lived with Evan Thomas as his "wife" then presumably that was the name she was commonly known as and it was the name used on her death registration and/or burial.
        Elaine

Comment

My grandfather changed his by deed poll in the 60's too, he sent the forms for my Dad to do the same, but I have not found evidence that he did, apart from death cert. So it may be that it will be the same situation for your grandfather too.
          Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            You can call yourself whatever you like, providing the change of name is not done for illegal purposes.
            If she lived with Evan Thomas as his "wife" then presumably that was the name she was commonly known as and it was the name used on her death registration and/or burial.
            This is just speculation though, we all tried searching for this marriage but never found it. I have the name of his first wife by searching for his eldest "son" Evan James in an 1861 census. In that census is an older brother to the wife named Tudor which was also the name of one of the other "son's".

Comment

It's very possible that a notice could appear in the London Gazette. Their archives are available for free online, with OCR search. Their pages have links to the comparable publications in Edinburgh and Belfast.

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

hI = Thanks for the advice and I shall start searching as you suggest.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                  It's very possible that a notice could appear in the London Gazette. Their archives are available for free online, with OCR search. Their pages have links to the comparable publications in Edinburgh and Belfast.

Christine
                  Fascinating website. Thanks Christine..

Comment

Working...
                  X