Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to find Private E Thorpe's WW1 enlistment info ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find Private E Thorpe's WW1 enlistment info ...

Ernest was born Leicester 1894 / he died of wounds 18th October 1918
    He was in the Lincolnshire Regiment / Regimental No. 238009
    He's commemorated at Vadencourt British Cemetery, Maissemy, France

I'd appreciate info regarding his enlistment e.g. Adode, next of kin / wife/ marriage, occupation etc.

Thanks
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Where did he live LL, do you know? There is one in Rutland (born in Uppingham) in the Royal Army Medical Corps.
    Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 14-04-13, 10:41.
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Hi Chrissie
      he was born Leicester - not the Rutland one
      Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 14-04-13, 10:43.

Comment

I can't find one in Leicester LL, sorry. There's Notts etc but no Leics or Lincs.
        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 14-04-13, 10:51.

Comment

Can only find his death details which you already have. Only thing I can add is that he was in the 5th Battalion Lincolnshire Regiment

Comment

Thanks for trying to find him ... according to Ancestry UK Soldiers Died in the Great War info Leicester was his birthplace and his enlisment location - where did they get this info from if we can't find his records??? It doesn't appear on his CWGC memorial certificate.

Comment

I think you will find that the information has been transcribed from a government publication.
              This is from Ancestry:

About UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919
              In 1921 His Majesty's Stationery Office published, on behalf of and by authority of the War Office, two lists of those who died during the Great War. One volume, packed with minute typescript, gave the basic details of nearly 42,000 officer casualties. It required an additional eighty volumes to list all the 'other ranks' who gave their lives. Each of the original volumes represented one or more regiments, corps or other units of the British Army. Most were subdivided into battalions or similar groupings. There were often thirty or more of these per volume, each in alphabetical order.
              This database contains information extracted from these volumes and includes over 703,000 individuals. Information listed about an individual may include:
              Name
              Birthplace
              Enlistment place
              Residence
              Number
              Decoration
              Rank
              Regiment
              Battalion
              Type of casualty
              Death date
              Death place
              Theater of war
              Elaine

Comment

If it's of any interest, Family Search indexers are currently working on the WWI records, so I suppose there's just a slim chance that his details might be in that lot somewhere. They only started on the project a month or so ago , so I have no idea when the details will be released onto the FS website.

In the meantime, here's his medal card, just in case you haven't got it already

Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

thanks for info ... you must have read my mind looking for medal card was next on my list!

Comment

what are the chances of a medal card surviving and the papers not? i know a lot of service records for WWI are lost, but what about their medal cards?

Comment

I was under the impression that medal cards had survived.
                      Elaine

Comment

I've found many a medal card when I couldn't find the full service history.

Comment

A Family History tutor I know tells me that the medal cards are about 100% complete whereas the other WWI stuff is only about 40%.
                          Last edited by SmallTownGirl; 14-04-13, 15:58.
                          Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

so there's a slim chance that LL's relly could have surviving records in someone else's file?

Comment

Not sure I understand what you are saying Kylejustin.
                              The medal index cards were held separately from the the pension/service records.
                              It appears that virtually 100% of the medal cards are complete, whereas it is known that a very large percentage of pension/service records were lost during bombing. Just because there is a medal card does not mean that the pension/service record survived.
                              Elaine

Comment

yes i understood that elaine, i'm confusing myself really. i was thinking yes she's found the medal card, and it doesn't match up with service records, so i was wondering on the statistics of how rare that was, but know about that now. i guess the records she is after could be incorporated in other service men's records, as is the case sometimes. but if that is so, finding them would be difficult.

Comment

LL,
                                  The medal cards were stored in a different warehouse to the service records and survived the ww2 blitz practically intact. Unfortunately nearly 75 percent

of the service records were destroyed when the Arnside St storage was set on fire in 1940. The information we are left with is the basic medal entitlement listed

on the medal cards. The medal rolls are slightly more informative giving service number, rank, regiment and sometimes theatre the person served in. These records

are not on line and are held in National Archives series WO329. Of course they can be viewed but you have to go in person, or engage a researcher to see these records.

Another type of record that survived is the pension cards. Now, if a man had any dependants details will be held on these cards and I believe that recently these cards

have been obtained by the Western Front Association and most of them by now have been transcribed,. details of which can be given (for a fee - amount of which I

don't know). Probably if you googled the WFA,s web site you could obtain details of that. There is also limited information held on casualities by the CWGC, so all in

all a reasonable profile of a mans service can be built up by putting two and two together. I also believe that family search is putting records on line, but referring

to above on the amount of records available there won't be any more than ancestry already has.
                                  Whoever said Seek and Ye shall find was not a genealogist.

David

Comment

Here is the link to info on the Pension Cards that the WFA have acquired

http://www.westernfrontassociation.c...rstanding.html

At the moment it is a reasonably costly exercise to request a look up

"Section 4: Fees for lookups:
                                    First successful lookup: £25.00
                                    Successive successful lookups: £5.00 each
                                    NB: a successful lookup includes at least one card or ledger entry for the combatant in question.
                                    If no records are found at all:
                                    £15.00 refund for the first lookup. £3.00 for any successive lookups.
                                    NB if your first lookup is not found, then the £25 first lookup charge will be transferred to any successive lookups. Similarly, refunds will be applied in the same way.
                                    Print, packing and postage (only if required; files will usually be sent by email): £7.50"

Comment

I have found 2,

1901 and 1911 son of David and Harriet Kate
                                      Ernest is a shoe finisher

Nephew to Beatrice Thorpe, he is a coal miner

with my bits for Leics was wondering if I could find anything for you that way
                                      Last edited by Elaine; 16-04-13, 23:22.
                                      Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                                      http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

I have not yet ever found a service record for someone who died during WW1.

Others have said that they have found both ................. but to me it seems possible that the records for a dead serviceman were removed from the "active" file.

and who knows what happened to them?

When you think that only 25 - 30% of the service records for WW1 servicemen survived WW2 ................ then it is a wonder that one finds anything at all!

Most of the surviving records are in fact incomplete and badly damaged.

I was lucky enough to find my grandfather's records ............ they show when he was attested, and mobilised, where he trained, and that he was then transferred to the Machine Gun Corps.

The next page in the record has him leaving Bombay, India, 10 months after going to the MCG, on a boat going to Basra, in what is now Iraq. Records after that are complete, right up to his discharge in March 1919.

I wish I knew where he'd been in the intervening 10 months!

Records for commissioned officers were stored in a different place, and have survived almost intact.

It is ironic to realise that the records for WW1 records were moved from where they were being held in London, to a "safer" area in Kew ..................... if they had remained in the original place, they would probably have been safe!

LL ................

You could try finding out if anything was published in his local newspaper. Have you tried googling his name??
                                        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

Working...
                                        X