Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freemasonry publications go online

From the WDYTYA Magazine newsletter:

Researchers could find references to their freemason forebears among a collection of rare periodicals now available to explore on the web

Family historians can now access thousands of rare freemasonry records online.

The Library and Museum of Freemasonry has published a major collection of Masonic periodicals on a new website, enabling researchers to gain an insight into the history of world’s oldest fraternal organisation.
    Set up in collaboration with King’s College London, the free facility comprises 75,000 scanned pages from a number of titles in circulation between the late 18th and early 20th centuries, including the Freemason’s Chronicle and the Masonic Mirror.

Scanned from microfilm copies held at the Library, each page has been individually transcribed, enabling users to search the periodicals by a specific keyword. The software also provides a ‘zoning’ feature, which automatically separates different articles, advertisements and images.

Although freemasonry has been referenced in the mainstream press since the foundation of the first Masonic Grand Lodge in 1717, the periodicals were published by freemasons primarily for a Masonic audience. As such, they can not only be used to research key developments within the society, but to trace specific individuals and learn more about the localities in which different lodges were based.
    The periodicals form part of a vast collection of artefacts and documents kept by the Library, which is based in London. Other holdings include the archives of the United Grand Lodge of England, the main governing body of freemasonry in both England and Wales.

Search and browse the peridocals at www.masonicperiodicals.org

Carol

Thank you. Not the easiest site to navigate, and a quick look at sample articles shows that most names are written as initials surname, or surname initials, which could make things difficult. However, looks a useful resource if one has hints of a possible Freemason in your family tree.
    Last edited by keldon; 12-04-13, 15:30.
    Phil
    historyhouse.co.uk
    Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Carol,
      Thanks for posting this info. I've just tried to have a look at this but get the dreaded

HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.
      Internet Information Services (IIS)The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable
      when I click on the View Periodicals tab. All the other links are working fine. Anyone else having the same problem or is it just me?
      Christine
      Researching:
      HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

The link was added to our Reference Library yesterday - on the General Historical Resources page:

That one is working fine.
        Caroline
        Caroline's Family History Pages
        Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

I haven't got the print option to print the right pages.

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline View Post
            The link was added to our Reference Library yesterday - on the General Historical Resources page:

That one is working fine.
            Hi Caroline,
            The main page is not the problem - It's actually the View Periodicals tab on that page that still has the 404 error when I've tried it again just now...
            Christine
            Researching:
            HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Is your browser up to date? Is your Flash up to date?

I had an explore on Google and came across this about the software (Olive Software using their standard search and browse interface (called Active Magazine). This has not been modified to suit these materials, but will be adapted for the full project according to the findings of the pilot) which will load from the page you can't open.

Automatically transform your print-first content into rich, interactive online content that can be delivered to your audience through multiple channels.

I am using Chrome Version 26.0.1410.64 m
              Caroline
              Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Is your browser up to date? Is your Flash up to date?

I had an explore on Google and came across this about the software (Olive Software using their standard search and browse interface (called Active Magazine). This has not been modified to suit these materials, but will be adapted for the full project according to the findings of the pilot) which will load from the page you can't open.

Automatically transform your print-first content into rich, interactive online content that can be delivered to your audience through multiple channels.

I am using Chrome Version 26.0.1410.64 m
                I'm using Safari via IPad so perhaps that is the explanation??
                Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by Karamazov View Post
                  I'm using Safari via IPad so perhaps that is the explanation??
                  Unless you've managed to get Flash running on it, then that will explain it.

http://www.wikihow.com/View-Flash-Ba...tes-on-an-iPad - I don't have one and have no idea if this works, so take absolutely no responsibility whatsoever if you try this!!!
                  Caroline

Comment

Unless you've managed to get Flash running on it, then that will explain it.

http://www.wikihow.com/View-Flash-Ba...tes-on-an-iPad - I don't have one and have no idea if this works, so take absolutely no responsibility whatsoever if you try this!!!
                    Hi Caroline,
                    thanks for this link which I'll investigate. The Flash explanation hadn't occurred to me as usually I will get an alert saying that your device doesn't support Flash rather than a page not found message.
                    I'm not a techie, but I do love my iPad despite its Flash-unfriendly shortcomings.
                    Christine
                    Researching:

Comment

Working...
                    X