Hugh's War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hugh's War

Thanks to Angelina I have just found out that one of my ancestors Hugh Lennon's WW1 record with a whopping 27 images, I've got to the second so far and I was wondering if someone could figure out this writing please? Knowing me we may have more yet so please beware!!

HUGH LENNON.jpg
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Can't read the first 3 words but the rest seems to be:- right side of neck, large one on right elbow, ?nice one right wrist. Oh the first word may be scar.
    Last edited by Stella; 11-04-13, 21:18.
    Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

I think it is:
      Scar lower part right side of neck, large one on right elbow, one on right wrist.
      Elaine

Comment

Well done Elaine - you got it!
        Stella passed away December 2014

Comment

So that's scars, brown hair & grey eyes as his distinguishing features.

Comment

Elaine beat me to it! I agree with her interpretation.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Brilliant. cheers. it's an extremely difficult thing to look at. I can't make the majority of it out, National Archives only has 2 images on that one where has this is at least 27. Surely there's a way to just save the full record to the computer?

Comment

You need to scroll through the images one at a time and save each one to your computer. There is no way to download all 27 pages in one go.
                The record on the National Archives will be different - it is probably the medal card which you should be able to find on Ancestry, so don't go paying £3 (or whatever it is now) to download it from TNA!
                Elaine

Comment

This is probably the record you have found on the National Archives
                  http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...34&recoff=9+10
                  Elaine

Comment

Ahh well I'll do most of them now and the others tomorrow..

Comment

I'm not so sure that all 27 images are for Hugh. Then again I've never really seen a war record this big before so I can't be to sure and I've only got 7 images saved so far.

Comment

From a quick run through I can't see any reason to suggest that images from 1527 (1 back from where Ancestry starts) to 1554 inclusive are not all his - though there do appear to be a few duplicate pages

He had a long and well travelled career in the army - they are an interesting set of records that give a lot of information. You are very lucky to be able to find such a great source

Comment

Just had a look at the record on Ancestry, Lennon, and I think all 27 images are for the same man. That number of pages is not unusual with the Army Service/Pension records, although occasionally you will find that there are some blank pages amongst those, so you can skip through those!

I think I can see why you are doubting it, and that is because there is a change of regimental number as you scroll through the images. This often happened as and when men changed regiments, with new numbers being issued.
                          If you look at the medal card (see link in post #9), it appears that Hugh was in the Royal Garrison Artillery, Labour Corps and Royal Defence Corps, with regimental nos. 6135, 422529, 89370. As you go through the document you will see these numbers on some of the pages. As I was looking through I made a note that there was another number which was 26238, so not sure where that one fits in.

Transcribing them gets easier with practice! The same with any sort of transcribing, once you have done a couple of similar documents you get to know the words and phrases which are generally used, thus hopefully making it easier next time round!
                          Elaine

Comment

... and while I was looking and typing, Sue has had a look and agrees they appear to be for the same person! :D
                            Elaine

Comment

The 26238 no appears to be part of some sort of code used a couple of times on docs while he was in the RDC - his regimental number with them was still consistently shown as 89370

No worries Elaine - your reasoning for the possible confusion was very clear - and always good to have a second opinion

Comment

Originally posted by SueNSW View Post
                                The 26238 no appears to be part of some sort of code used a couple of times on docs while he was in the RDC - his regimental number with them was still consistently shown as 89370
                                Thanks Sue - I was just jotting numbers down as I was skipping through the pages!
                                Elaine

Comment

Aww cheers guys.. I'm soo chuffed that there's finally a Lennon in the war.. :D :D

Comment

Well that's 19 images saved so far- the rest shall have to wait as I've used all of my credits on them.

Comment

Lennon, not sure how much you have spent on credits - and not asking!

You would probably find it much cheaper buying yourself a copy of Family Tree Maker which comes with a full 6 month free subscription to Ancestry. You needn't use the program, just install it on your computer, register it with the same email address that you use for Ancestry and then activate your FREE subscription. You don't need the most up to date version, FTM 2100 or FTM 2011 would be fine - but you need the Platinum edition (usually comes in red box)

This would be fine and would give you 6 month access to full UK Ancestry without worrying about purchasing credits. It usually works out much cheaper!
                                      Elaine

Comment

- or even from EBay

Just be careful if buying a second hand one that the subscription to Ancestry hasn't already been activated/used.
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X