Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Irish place/parish names please

Hi
    I was wondering if you could help me out with Irish placenames, I've been Googling like mad but not found anything remotely like the parish I'm supposed to find...mind you the writing doesnt help much!

My g-g-granddad Thomas Lacey joined the Army, the Irish Militia then transferred to the British Army in 1855. In the later census's he said he came from St Mullins in Carlow. That itself was easy to find. I have now downloaded his Army records from Findmypast, and he's saying he was born somewhere totally different!

He was a Farrier in the 6th Dragoon Reg, I cant decipher the town he was attested in although I can read its in the county of Kilkenny.

But what I cant find is the parish and town he was actually born in. It says Ross...well theres a place called New Ross, but thats in Wexford, and although I have been on several Irish site with parish records cannot for the life of me find the parish of Daimmin?Daimmir?

Thanks in advance for your help
    Sandra
    Attached Files

There is a townland called Drummin near St Mullins, maybe a possibility??

Comment

definently says 'daimmin' in carlow on the record. maybe it's a farm or property not a parish.

Comment

Not sure if I have read corrcectly what you have said, but the town of Kilkenny is there as his attestation place in the County of Kilkenny. The other name which looks like Daiminn is in Carlow. Wexford, Carlow and Kilkenny border each other as counties and New Ross is right on the border of Kilkenny and Wexford.

I could only find the townland of Drummin St Mullins near New Ross as Frazzled has already pointed out.

Remember the Townlands are the most important part of an Irish address!

Janet
        Last edited by Janet; 11-04-13, 14:41.

Comment

Hi Sandra,
          Ive come up with same conclusions as Janet and Frazzled above. For what it's worth, there is a Patrick Lacey in this townland in the Griffith Valuation - published in 1852 for Co Carlow. An older relation of your man perhaps? More details at http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffi...ishname=Tenant
          Family Name 1 LACEY
          Forename 1 PATRICK
          Landlord
          Family Name 2 KAVANAGH
          Forename 2 THOMAS
          Barony ST MULLINS, LOWER
          Union NEW ROSS
          Parish ST MULLIN
          Townland DRUMMIN
          Place Name DRUMMIN
          Place Type TOWNLAND

Christine
          Researching:
          HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Thanks everyone for your replies, sorry haven't replied sooner, but have been out all day.
            Drummin St Mullins seems to fit nicely, why didn't I see that this morning?

On his marriage cert (he married in Colchester as he was posted there) he said his fathers name was Phillip Lacey, a farmer. I'm thinking he joined the army in the 1850's to escape the potato famine?

Christine - thanks for the look-up & the link, I dont know as yet if he is a family member, but all the place names certainly fit...Carlow, St Mullins, New Ross, Drummin

Comment

Sorry - have just clicked on the link I posted above and it didn't work. Hopefully this one for the search page will work.

Then search for name Lacey, county Carlow, union New Ross. It should give you three Lacey results, including the Patrick Lacey mentioned above. you can also do a place name search which then enables you to see all the occupants of Drummin townland which can be useful in tracing other family connections.

Christine
              Researching:
              HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Working...
              X