Making a family history book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a family history book

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, and sorry if it isnt.I have been researching for a number of years and have things strewn about which even in my mind looks like chaos.There are aspects of my family history which is complete....others are still being researched and others well........maybe i will never have the answers.I have come to a point where I need to organise the family tree.a few questions which I would be welcome to hear others points of view.1.....What is the best way to do this.......I have some posh scrapbooks2.....Is it better to start with the present day and work back...3.....Or start as far back as I canI think start present and work backwards.....Really as I haven't yet begun I am open to any suggestions, though I wouldnt like to rely on CD's etc as technology is forever changing and being an 'old fashioned' type I feel a hard copy is a nicer option
    thank you for your time
    hugs Stella x x
    Last edited by Stellanne; 11-04-13, 10:26.
    Stellanne x

Researching: Bennetts (Derbyshire), Parkinson (Durham, Yorkshire)

Stellanne - I'll move your post over to our Family Research forum - I think more people will see it there.

We had an interesting thread about making a FH book last month -

Wulliam, who created the book, gave us some ideas on how he put together and we created a "how to guide" in the hope it might inspire others!
    How to structure a book on your family history There must be many ways to do this, but here is what I did. Images shown as examples have sensitive information blacked out. I included pages such as acknowledgements etc, but haven’t mentioned these here. Preparation I looked through the information I had and decided which family units I had enough information to make it worth my while writing them up properly. The further back I go I only have baptism, marriage and burial data with no biographical detail at all – it’s worth mentioning them but not worth giving them a section to themselves. The family units [father, mother and children…one of whom is a direct ancestor] were each given a section number. Contents Pages The contents pages consist of 9 family trees showing only direct ancestors. The first one shows my children up to their great-grandparents (4 generations). As

I think it's something we would all love to do - it's just sorting out where to start and how to do it! :D
    Elaine

Comment

If you use Family Tree Maker (FTM) you can make a book in that from all the data you have input so you would get the best of both worlds - and electronic record and a paper record once you had printed out the book. You can even have a book printed professionally from a site associated with FTM which can include photos and stories - in fact whatever you want.

I haven't done it yet but have tons of binders with everything in - well almost everything! all I need to do now is check I have it all on FTM and I'm away - but that could take years!! LOL

Margaret

Comment

Family Historian has a built-in facility to produce a book using the information that you have put into the programme including family trees, I haven't used it so I can't comment but it looks fairly comprehensive.

Margaret.
        Margaret

Comment

Working...
        X