PDA

View Full Version : Heir hunters question please

Chrissie Smiff
10-04-13, 11:29
Can someone tell me please how far back the heir hunters can go to find descendants?
I know they can go back to any siblings of the dead persons parents but can they go back to siblings of the dead person grandparents?

Barbara Dodds
10-04-13, 11:37
I think I have seen them do that Chrissie, but only if there are no siblings or first cousins still alive. Not a definitive answer though sorry

Olde Crone Holden
10-04-13, 12:00
Back to the grandparents of the deceased person.

Look at the Bona Vacantia site for more details.

OC

lennon2011
10-04-13, 12:02
Hope this helps..

Unlike traditional genealogy which traces family lines into the distant past Heir Tracing is seeking living descendant relatives who often have lost touch with their distant kin and in most cases have no idea of their family link.

In many cases there is no obvious heir who will inherit the estate under the rules of intestacy, so clearly there is a need to trace and tell the family members they are in for a windfall. Not only does this news come as a pleasant financial surprise but also unlocks family history and knowledge which proves valuable and interesting to many beneficiaries.

http://www.heirhunters.org.uk/

Chrissie Smiff
10-04-13, 12:13
Thank you all:)

JudithM
10-04-13, 14:16
Seem to remember them saying on the programme that in Scottish law they can go back one further generation than in England.

Chrissie Smiff
10-04-13, 16:36
Thank you Judith, I think I seem to remember something similar:)

Uncle John
11-04-13, 14:50
I seem to remember that the limitation to grandparents and their descendants was set because of the tendency to enormous families in the late Victorian era. There could be a case for reviewing that decision if HMG were keen enough to allocate time.

margaretmarch
11-04-13, 14:56
I seem to remember that the limitation to grandparents and their descendants was set because of the tendency to enormous families in the late Victorian era. There could be a case for reviewing that decision if HMG were keen enough to allocate time.

Shall we start a petition??
Margaret

Uncle John
11-04-13, 20:06
Does it include meeting for tea and buns?

WendyPusey
11-04-13, 20:56
When I was contacted by a similar firm re a relative, they went back to my Great Grandparents. Grandparents of deceased.

There were quite a few beneficiaries in the end - approx. 25

Chrissie Smiff
11-04-13, 22:06
Thanks everyone - I've sorted it now:)