Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alice Mary Legg from London County

Hello guys,

Thanks in advance for your help with this query, as you amazing guys have helped me before in a previous post

Alice Mary Legg marries Frederick Joseph Channon 15/6/1908 at Stow Hill Baptist Chapel, Newport South Wales, Alice says she is a spinster aged 31 living at 5 Kirby Street Newport a upholsteress(strange ocupation for a woman?) and Frederick a batchelor aged 24 living at 15 Bolt Street , father of Alice Mary Legge - James Legg a railway guard and father of Frederick Joseph Channon - John Channon a dock labourer (no problem with the Channon's) - I have a copy of the marriage cert which has been isssued with a one penny stamp on it but does not say when it was issued (not sure when the penny stamp was withdrawn from the certs?) and witnesses to the marriage are John Channon, A Channon, William Legg and either S or V Channon. On the 1911 Census Fred and Alice are living in Newport married for 2 years no children, in Newport town centre, Skinner Street or Commercial Street Newport, South Wales. The problem I have is that Alice Mary Legg seems to have been born a few years earlier than she says on her marriage cert, I have found her in 1901 in St Martins in the Field London as an upholsteress aged 30 living on her own and in 1891 living in London with her mother aged 20, St Pancras and Islington no father listed. I have tried to trace her family back and am uncertain if her mother came from Gloucestershire as I think I have spotted her on earlier census's. Alice died as Alice Mary Channon in 1947 and Frederick Joseph Channon in 1953. Fred and Alice unoffically adopted my Grampy Marcus James Channon sometime after his 1911 birth (birth name Marcus James Williams born 24/12/1911 in Newport Workhouse - birth registered by Evan Davies workhouse master in January 1912).

So to put this in some kind of context - do you guys think that Alice Mary Legg was more likely to have been born in 1871 rather than 1877/78 as stated on her marriage cert, and she was in fact at the time of her marriage 38 or 39 and not likely to have had any children? and what of her family? Alice says on the 1911 census that she was born in London County - which is a bit wide as it could be anywhere in the London Area, I know Alice and Fred took my grampy in and raised him as their own child and they are not related in any way at all, however it would be great if anyone could point me in the right direction of Alice's family as she did bring my grampy up.

Sorry for the long explanation.

Kind regards

Sarah

Yes, very likely she lied about her age when she married a man who was in fact some 13 years younger than she was!
    Her age on the census is bound to be more accurate, as she wouldn't have filled in the details herself, the head of household would.

OC

Comment

Thanks OC, I did think that she prob had said she was younger than she actually was, and maybe this was the reason she didn't have any biological children with Fred (those days were not as today - still though I'm having trouble tracing her family from London, I cannot find a James Legg with daughter Alice Legg in London anywhere with the dates mentioned above, or a James Legg as a railway guard, could Alice have fabricated this info as with her marriage cert?

Comment

Do you have Ancestry?

I presume this is the Alice you were looking at in 1891 showing her as an upholsterer and her mother, Mary aged 60 born Chiswick.

Could this be the same Mary in 1861 - I think it says born Chiswick aged 29 and her husband is James a railway porter

Jackie

Comment

Hi Jackie,

Thanks for those links, yes that does look like Alice's family. I didn't realise she had an older brother though. Also I haven't been able to pin down a birth for Alice in London, Legg seemed to be a fairly common name in that era and there are quite a few girls born around 1870/71 with the same name. I will keep looking.

Thanks for your help

Sarah

Comment

There's a tree on ancestry here http://trees.ancestry.co.uk/pt/Reque...id=12525783934 that has Alice b1870 St George in the East, London with father James that might be a connection.

Might be worth getting in touch.

Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret,

Thanks for your reply, somehow I managed to miss that tree on Ancestry, but I have now sent a message to the owner hopefully she will reply - you never know I might get some response which could be interesting as I know nothing more about Alice apart from when she married to Fred, she died a long long time ago years before I was born so I have only been able to ask my dad really about Alice and he was only 9 when she died so doesn't remember much apart from that she had a parrot (lol) and it used to call her Alice that is basically it.

Thanks for your help - really appreciated.

Kind regards

Sarah

Comment

Working...
              X