Huguenots of Spitalfields Festival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huguenots of Spitalfields Festival

This may be of interest to anyone with Huguenot ancestors.

Huguenots of Spitalfields celebrates the Huguenots, French Protestants who settled in this country and were our first refugees, and Spitalfields, where many of them settled. […]

Various events, talks and places to visit between 8th and 21st April 2013.

(Mods - please move this if you think its in the wrong place)
    Jackie

A friend sent me the info on this, knowing I have an particular interest. I just can't manage a visit to London in the right time frame, can get a few days off the following week, but that's not a lot of use, just wish I'd known sooner and I could have re arranged the shifts at work!

It does look good though, I spent 2 days walking the area a couple of years ago, a wonderful place, I loved it even though the houses my families lived in aren't there now.

Shame I didn't appreciate it when I lived in London!

If anyone gets to go to any of the events I'd love to hear about it.
    Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

I've managed to persuade OH to come with me on Saturday. Both of our families come from that area and last week I had a breakthrough on my tree that finally confirmed that part of my family were Huguenot.

I confess to being a bit ignorant about that part of history so I've some swotting to do but it'll be interesting walking round the area.
      Jackie

Comment

I had decided there was a chance I could get there for a couple of days middle of next week, seems a certain lady is being buried! probably not the best time to visit London!

I have family from Spitalfields, they were silk/orris weavers, were married/baptised at Christchurch and I've found French ancestry. No definate Huguenot proof though! As I said, love the area and restaurants!
        Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

Looks interesting ... wished I lived closer!
          Elaine

Comment

Looks like a fab event! I have french ancestors from that area but have yet to establish they were Huguenots.

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              Looks interesting ... wished I lived closer!
              I live nearer and have got a spare bed LOL

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by margaretmarch View Post
                I live nearer and have got a spare bed LOL
                Yeh, but you left the sunshine behind in Spain when you left! :D
                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                  Yeh, but you left the sunshine behind in Spain when you left! :D
                  Oh don't rub it in :(

Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                    I've managed to persuade OH to come with me on Saturday. Both of our families come from that area and last week I had a breakthrough on my tree that finally confirmed that part of my family were Huguenot.

I confess to being a bit ignorant about that part of history so I've some swotting to do but it'll be interesting walking round the area.
                    Only just seen this - we're going tomorrow too. Have booked places on the Silk Weavers of Spitalfields walk/talk at @ 1.30. Let's hope the forecast spring sunshines arrives on time!
                    Sue

Comment

Nice piece here on todays' Spitalfield Life blog http://spitalfieldslife.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Sue from Southend View Post
                        Only just seen this - we're going tomorrow too. Have booked places on the Silk Weavers of Spitalfields walk/talk at @ 1.30. Let's hope the forecast spring sunshines arrives on time!
                        How did it go Sue?

Originally posted by Jill on the A272 View Post
                        Nice piece here on todays' Spitalfield Life blog http://spitalfieldslife.com/
                        I love that blog, Jill, and there are some great photos on there.

We went to the festival yesterday and had a lovely time. The atmosphere was brilliant and there was a lot going on. Loads of street entertainers, weaving, market stalls etc. We didn't do any of the organised tours but ended up walking (in the rain) to the City Farm, Brick Lane, Petticoat Lane etc.

The Huguenot Society stand was heaving but they had a facility where you could leave your contact details and the surname you're interested in and for £2 per name they will let you know what CD-ROMs they appear in. I've left my details but I would imagine I'll have to wait a while
                        Jackie

Comment

We thoroughly enjoyed it too. Because of the timing of the walk we got there fairly early and the stalls were not too busy. I had a go at weaving - considering the number of weavers in my tree you'd have thought that I'd have some inherited memory but sadly not! The walk was really interesting. The guide was knowledgable and made the local history come alive. OH was particularly interested to learn how one his favourite pubs got it's name .....

I bought a couple of CDs from the Huguenot Society stand, to add to the one I already had, should you be interested Jackie ;)
                          Sue

Comment

Working...
                          X