Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery indeed

5th December 1925,

THOMAS, Jacob, beloved husband of Matilda Louisa Thomas, accidently killed, December 3rd, leaves sons residence, 7 T..... Street, Stockton at 2.45 Sunday. Friends kindly Invited.

So I've been in Stockton Library from 11am til 5pm and the only thing that I found was an obituary for Jacob Thomas (Granddad Albi's Uncle) and it says that he was accidently killed so now I have a new mystery to try and find. He was only 55 so could he have still been eligible for War? I do have a picture of him in his HMS Victory Uniform but I have no idea of when it was taken.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Edit: Just had another look at the 1911 census where he's 40 and it does say that he's a "Gas Stocer" so wouldn't that mean "Stoker"?
    Last edited by lennon2011; 09-04-13, 19:33.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

What year are we talking about, pls?
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

5th December 1925. I added the census info as it's the last known info I have on him before the death- apart from the children's births etc.

Comment

If he was born in 1870, he would have been 44 when WW1 started, and 48 at the end - so I would have thought he would have been too old to have been conscripted .
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Ahh right. It was worth a try, maybe he was in the Navy but not the War or the person I got the photo from was wrong.

Comment

Could he have enlisted in the navy when a young man, or perhaps attended a nautical school, like the Wellesley school at Blyth?
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I've sent an FB message to my Thomas contact and according to them the picture was taken in 1914 and that he DID serve in the war as he received a medal for it, I found a Jacob Thomas but it had the wrong wife. Plus I'm not to sure my contact really know what belongs to which Thomas, I've had trouble myself.

Comment

He may have volunteered to serve in the navy during 1914 - 1918, as opposed to being conscripted, but I don't think it would have been on HMS Victory. She had been retired and was moored in Portsmouth harbour at that time.
                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                  He may have volunteered to serve in the navy during 1914 - 1918, as opposed to being conscripted, but I don't think it would have been on HMS Victory. She had been retired and was moored in Portsmouth harbour at that time.
                  She has often been used as the Navy equivalent of barracks. Even from quite early on.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The Thomas family are such a complicated lot that I think the contact is as confused as I am, for all I know this might not even be a picture of Jacob. It's definitely a Thomas though as I can see Granddad looking back at me and he's only a half Thomas through Jacob's sister Emily.

Comment

I had a look for a newspaper report about it but could find none. It's worth checking back from time to time, as more newspapers are digitised.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

My War Historian Contact has come through for me :D I've been sent a list of names and Jacob is on it for the UK Naval Medals & Awards. If anyone would like to see it I'll be more than happy to PM it.

Comment

There's a record for a Jacob Thomas of Royal Navy which is available for download from the National Archives for a small charge. His year of birth, however, is given as 1878 which doesn't quite fit. Born Stockton, number K27773. Is this the man on the Medal Roll?
                          The National Archives, Kew – Research Service Offered
                          Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Ann- I spotted that one myself and it's on Ancestry with a completely different wife. Maybe he was trying to point out that there were 2 Jacob's and I've jumped the gun again.

Service number will allow access to his service record but I would wait as Ancestry etc are building up resources so may be £50 say wasted.

In fact Pip, Squeak and Wilfred as also got the Star. This does not identify whether it was the 1914 Star or the 1914/15 Star more likely the latter.

This Jacob was a stoker first class so high up in the engine room.
                            I jumped at the Gas Stoker part.

Comment

The man on the Ancestry Medal roll is no 27773, so if you're saying you have looked at the record I mentioned on the National Archives and it's the wrong man, then the medal record is for the wrong man too. With respect, your contact should have known about the downloadable RN records on the National Archives site.
                              Contact me via PM on Family Tree Forum or via my personal website - www.militaryandfamilyresearch.co.uk

Comment

Sarah (I think that's right) I have found several family members in their 40's serving in WW1, most were in desk jobs but there were a few on active service and in France.
                                I think possible people with a previous military/naval career were more likely to have served.
                                Like Christine said, I have found some serving in the navy on HMS ? which turned out to be land based. But for the life of me I cannot remember who it was or the ships name. But this is the problem I have at the moment with retentive memory. I may wake up tomorrow and it will be clear as day.
                                Others mention Ancestry updates, but as I transcribe for family search when I feel able, I can tell you that they have started to transcribe WW1 military service records too. These are quite interesting records to work on.
                                Last edited by bubblebelle; 09-04-13, 22:25.
                                Bubblebelle x

FAMILY INTERESTS: Pitts of Sherborne Gloucs. Deaney (Bucks). Pye of Kent. Randolph of Lydd, Kent. Youell of Norfolk and Suffolk. Howe of Lampton. Carden of Bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                                  She has often been used as the Navy equivalent of barracks. Even from quite early on.

Christine
                                  Indeed she was. But I think there was a period when she was out of action after being accidently rammed and damaged.
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

So a birth search of people with the name of Jacob Thomas in FreeBDM & Ancestry bring up only 2 people. 1870 and 1880, both within June.
                                    Stockton Roots is also the same.

Comment

But it doesn't tell you that both were in the Navy. You need to look at that Naval record or eliminate one of them by other means. Bear in mind that on joining in the Navy a man may have lied about his age.

Comment

Lying about the age certainly runs in the family. His Nephew (My Granddad Albi) did it to join WW2.

The one on Ancestry was an Army one.. Of to find it again.
                                        Last edited by lennon2011; 09-04-13, 22:51.

Comment

Working...
                                        X