Puzzling marriage certificate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puzzling marriage certificate

I sent for a marriage certificate for Guy Lancelot Wright and Gladys Emma Welch and when I recieved it there was a note on the side stating

In Entry No25 Col 2 for 'Ralph Lancelot Foster' read 'Guy Lancelot Wright otherwise Ralph Lancelot Foster'
    In Col 7 omit 'Ralph Foster' which name was inserted in ignorance at the time, it being not the bridegrooms Father's name.
    Corrected by me F.A. Mann Rector May 19th 1919 in the presence of Guy Lancelot Wright Gladys Emma Wright the parties married.

Ok that is an error, but the happy couple married on 18th May 1918 a year previous to the alteration notes. How would Guy and Emma have missed this? And could the fact they wanted to emigrate to Australia have highlighted this?

Any ideas would be gratefully appreciated
    Many thanks
    Stella x
    Stellanne x

Researching: Bennetts (Derbyshire), Parkinson (Durham, Yorkshire)

Perhaps they needed to present both Guy's birth cert AND their marriage cert for some reason (emigration, passport application) and then found out that the two didn't match.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Trancribing Parish Registers, I've seen such amendments quite a few times and years after the marriage. The problem is highlighted when the Marriage Certificate has to be presented for some official purpose.

Comment

Thank you!
        So when the couple had decided they wanted to emigrate they noticed the error. Wouldn't the couple have noticed it beforehand?
        Stellanne x x
        Stellanne x

Comment

Originally posted by Stellanne View Post
          Thank you!
          So when the couple had decided they wanted to emigrate they noticed the error. Wouldn't the couple have noticed it beforehand?
          Stellanne x x
          It wasn't an error it looks as though he gave the name he was using for himself rather than his registered name (which presumably he didn't know!) so that's why the correction for him.

As regards the father it seems he is most likely illegitimate as the father's name is to be omitted!

Margaret
          Last edited by margaretmarch; 09-04-13, 19:29.

Comment

My marriage cert is correct: filled out by my father, because he was the Rector and conducted the ceremony (my father married me! ;) ), but his writing was very flamboyant, and Officialdom took full advantage of that fact, so that - if you relied on the published GRO index - my husband appears to have married some other woman! I rang the local Registrar when I found out about 30 years later; astonishingly, the reason she gave for being entirely willing to correct the error was that she remembered my wedding!

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

My Fathers name on my wedding cert is wrong because when asked my fathers name I gave only his two christian names as I wrongly assumed the registrar knew my maiden name, My fathers three names were all Welsh names so all can be surnames as well as first names.
              I later went to see the registrar about it and he advised me not to worry about it as it would be a lot of hassle to amend it.

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                My marriage cert is correct: filled out by my father, because he was the Rector and conducted the ceremony (my father married me! ;) ), but his writing was very flamboyant, and Officialdom took full advantage of that fact, so that - if you relied on the published GRO index - my husband appears to have married some other woman! I rang the local Registrar when I found out about 30 years later; astonishingly, the reason she gave for being entirely willing to correct the error was that she remembered my wedding!

Christine
                So your Father well and truly "gave you away" Christine ;)
                Jacky

Comment

Originally posted by Tilly Mint View Post
                  So your Father well and truly "gave you away" Christine ;)
                  Indeed he did! A very special privilege: to have your wedding conducted by your father.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks for your comments, I think you have confirmed what I thought,
                    Yes Guy was illegitimate, though I never imagined that the name 'Ralph Foster' would be a made up name.
                    This makes me wonder about things I have found when looKing for Guy Wright, and the name Ralph Foster kept getting in the way. I will have to revisit some information.
                    Christine, You made me smile, you would have thought your dad, of all people, could be relied on to write in his best handwriting on your marriage certificate.
                    hugs
                    Stellanne x
                    Stellanne x

Comment

Originally posted by Stellanne View Post
                      <snip>
                      Christine, You made me smile, you would have thought your dad, of all people, could be relied on to write in his best handwriting on your marriage certificate.
                      hugs
                      Stellanne x
                      Oh, it looks fine. It's just difficult when you actually try to read it!

Christine

Comment

Working...
                      X