cannot find a death record...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cannot find a death record...

If someone dies during the war is there still a death record?

Im trying to find my great great grandfather but have no death record....i have the full package on Ancestry.com and I am getting stuck!

Yes there is - but how to find it may depend on WHERE he died ...what details do you have ?
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

His name is William Arthur Richardson and I only have a marriage record (to Ann Pinhorne) which says he was born 1841 in Hythe, Sussex. This is also backed up by the 1871 census record when he was aged 30 and living in London. Cannot find a birth record either...

Comment

Which war do you think he died in Rachel? Obviously far too old to be the first world war.

Do you have him on any census after 1871?
        Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 09-04-13, 16:48.
        Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

The most likely birth for him is Jan-March 1841 - William Arthur Richardson - Cuckfield ref 7 317

Comment

Do you know the names of any children they had?

Comment

Without certificates and a bit more research I can't be certain, but I think you will find his birth registered in Cuckfield, Sussex in Jan-Mar 1841, you will find him there aged 5 months with his father William (a Railway Contractor) in the 1841 census. In 1851 the family is in Mortlake, Surrey (father now a civil engineer).

If the 1871 census record with him as a porter, living in Clerkenwell is correct - then following the family forward in 1881 he is in Waterloo (workman on wharf) and in 1891 in Hornsey Rd, Islington working as a sack maker.In 1901 he is still in Islington with his wife Ann (where he gives his birth as Ardingly, Sussex) and then there is a death registration for William Arthur Richardson in Islington in Oct-Dec 1907.

Why do you think there is a war connection ?
              Last edited by AntonyM; 09-04-13, 17:14.
              Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
              Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Just doing a quick run through of the deaths for William Arthur Richardsons around about the right age - the first one but in an odd place is June 1879 aged 40 in Salford. Then the next one is December 1907 in Islington aged 68 - which seems the most likely (have you checked this one out?). After that I can only find one in March 1929 aged 88 but in Worcester.
                Last edited by Chrissie Smiff; 12-04-13, 10:34.

Comment

Snap Anthony - you were too quick for me lol

Comment

Working...
                  X