Any tips on where to look, please ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any tips on where to look, please ?

My g g grandparents lived in Poplar London (German immigrants, first seen on 1871 census) Their daughter Edith/Ada was born c1856 in Germany. She married (in 1875 in Stepney) a German immigrant . who had been living in Lancashire &, on the 1881 census, they're living in Liverpool. My grandmother always said the couple had met while Edith/Ada had been working in service "in Manchester" (for Manchester, you can assume a large surrounding area) She's with her parents in Poplar on the 1871 census but there must have been SOME connection to Lancashire...maybe she was just visiting her family in 1871....but Lancashire is a heck of a long way to go into service when your parents live in London.

Don't suppose there's anywhere I could look to find out if she had ever worked in Manchester ?

By the 1870's people were using employment agencies and also advertising in national newspapers for domestic staff. It seemed to be the start of taking a position away from your home patch, corresponding with the expansion of railways (transport system) and also town/city expansion building programmes. It was a period which saw an increase in starting your own business/trade, so allowing you to employ a servant and show off your new elevated status in society! Also, employing someone from "away" meant reducing the chances of the re-channelling of foodstuffs etc to the home of employees' parents and siblings!
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Did her husband ever make any application for Naturalisation ?

Those records (available at The National Archives) can often contain a great deal of information about places people have lived.
      Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
      Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Unfortunately, Antony, he didn't as far as I can see

Comment

Originally posted by greyingrey View Post
          My g g grandparents lived in Poplar London (German immigrants, first seen on 1871 census) Their daughter Edith/Ada was born c1856 in Germany. She married (in 1875 in Stepney) a German immigrant . who had been living in Lancashire &, on the 1881 census, they're living in Liverpool. My grandmother always said the couple had met while Edith/Ada had been working in service "in Manchester" (for Manchester, you can assume a large surrounding area) She's with her parents in Poplar on the 1871 census but there must have been SOME connection to Lancashire...maybe she was just visiting her family in 1871....but Lancashire is a heck of a long way to go into service when your parents live in London.

Don't suppose there's anywhere I could look to find out if she had ever worked in Manchester ?
          Have you got the husband in 1871 to see if she might have worked with him in the same big house?
          Margaret

Comment

Thanks, Margaret.....a good idea....but he's living with his parents & siblings & is listed as a cabinet maker. Would there be likely to be any records kept by the big houses in the area?

Comment

Originally posted by greyingrey View Post
              Thanks, Margaret.....a good idea....but he's living with his parents & siblings & is listed as a cabinet maker. Would there be likely to be any records kept by the big houses in the area?
              Do you know that it was a large establishment that she worked in? Did she have a particular job description e.g parlourmaid, housemaid?

Lots of people in trade/commerce employed and trained one or two servants (usually described as cook and general servant domestic.)
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

No, Janet....she could just as well have been a general servant to a middle class family....Unfortunately she goes straight from daughter to wife & stays as wife until her death

Comment

Working...
                X