Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

13 years on and I still can't find out what happened to Richard Slade!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13 years on and I still can't find out what happened to Richard Slade!

Richard Slade - Baptism record: 3 Oct 1831 Soberton, Hampshire, England.
    Parents: Thomas and Sarah Slade

1841 Census: Soberton, Hampshire.
    Thomas is aged 30, Sarah is aged 40.
    Children: Richard 9, Eliza 7, Alfred 5, Joseph 5, and Emma 3 weeks (all baptised in Soberton).

1851 Census: Westbury on Trym, Gloucestershire
    Thomas Slade's first wife Sarah has died and he's remarried to Elizabeth Mayo
    Emma aged 12, Alfred aged 14 and Pester (William Pester) aged 1.
    No Richard or Eliza.
    Joseph Walter is living with his Aunt and Uncle, Hannah (nee Slade) & George Kitcatt in East Lulworth, Dorset. Joseph then emigrates to the USA.

Thomas Slade (born 1806 in East Lulworth, Dorset) and wife Elizabeth continued to live in Westbury on Trym but by 30th Nov 1855 Thomas was living in Chideock, Dorset when his son Richard Charles Slade was born.

Because Thomas had a second son named Richard I assumed that his first son Richard, born 1831 must have died some time between 1841 and 1851 yet I can find no death registration for him anywhere.

Surely a death would be registered by then? :(
    teresa

It's not impossible that a name reappears in a second family - as you have here. It seems bizarre to us, but not (apparently) to them.

Or there's a mistranscription (at any stage in the process - including the creation of the GRO index) for the death record.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

My wife's GGF had a second family after his first wife died and named 3 of the children the same as 3 (still living) children of his first marriage.

There is even a side branch of my family with 2 children with the same name in a single family, John Thomas and John William!
      Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
      Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
      Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
      Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
      Devine in Ireland

Comment

I once read somewhere .............. forget where now because it was before I started doing my family history so I didn't make any notes .................. that it was even more of a problem in the 12/13th centuries.

Apparently, wealthy people would name a child after the godparent, in the hope that benefits would flow to the child because of this ........ and possibly to the rest of the family.

Of course, in those days, it was almost always male child and godfather.

Then later, they would decide to name another son after the godfather, for the same reason ............ and even thought the first one was still alive.

It had been known for a third child to be named after the godfather, even thought the first 2 were still alive

so 2 or 3 children in the same family, all living, same father and same mother, all with the same name!

Thank heavens not many of us get that far back!!!
        My grandmother, on the beach, South Bay, Scarborough, undated photo (poss. 1929 or 1930)

Researching Cadd, Schofield, Cottrell in Lancashire, Buckinghamshire; Taylor, Park in Westmorland; Hayhurst in Yorkshire, Westmorland, Lancashire; Hughes, Roberts in Wales.

Comment

I can't spot anything even remotely likely.. sorry.
          Julie
          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Thanks for looking Julie.

I can't find anything either..so frustrating.

I did wonder if he had emigrated to the USA to be near his younger brother Joseph Walter Slade, but can't find anything to prove it.

Or maybe a relative of his mother (Sarah Cooper) had taken him into their care and perhaps adopted him, but as I have no idea who her relatives were...no chance of finding him.

When I had a copy of his father Thomas Slade's death certificate, it revealed his second name as Joseph, yet it never appeared on any other documentation that I have!

As for the name Richard..that name was carried on through out the different branches, even my Dad's brother.
            teresa

Comment

I guess you have seen this tree?

they seem to have Eliza married off to a James BUDD, though in the marriage index it has a totally different Eliza marrying him!.. and also on the 1861 census they have, again a different Eliza Slade, this time she is married to a James SLADE, though they DO have 'your' Eliza in 1841!..

I did have a quick look to see if I could spot Richard in USA but nothing really jumped out.
              Julie

Comment

though as Richard would have been about 19 in 1851 he most probably would be out on his own earning a living? as for Eliza maybe she was in service somewhere? [though I have looked for her too and not seen much!]
                Julie

Comment

The only thing I can find is a possible death for Eliza in Gloucestersire

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...DDeath&indiv=1

The family should have been in Gloucestershire by then as Thomas married Elizabeth 1st quarter of 1849.

Can't see anything on Richard, death or marriage or immigration.

Vera

Comment

Yes I have seen that tree Julie.
                    The death registration for Eliza in Bristol could well be her Vera!

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
                    teresa

Comment

It doesn't show up in Wikipedia, but I think that it was Thomas Weelkes, whom I researched for programme notes (re his madrigals/motets), who was part of a family all of whom seemed to be called by the name Thomas - father and several sons.

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There is a death for a Richard Slade in Keynsham district in 1849. That is very close to Thomas Slade, the dad.
                        However, there is no age given at this time, so it's a shot in the dark.
                        I looked on NBI3 but the burial isn't there, unfortunately.
                        Elizabeth
                        Research Interests:
                        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Working...
                        X