Cant see WOOD for the trees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cant see WOOD for the trees

There are so many George Wood born in Hastings c1870 and so many people in ancestry have claimed them that this antiquated brain is totally unable to sort it out.
    I am sure from 1841 to today that those listed belong in my tree which conflicts with those on ancestry who state that their Georges stayed in Hastings so I throw it open to the FTF forum to help.
    *If* I am correct my 3GGF George Wood was born in Hastings 27 Aug 1870 and the supporting evidence that I have is;
    1777 Mary Wood bapt St Clements Hastings 07.09.1777 do George & Ruth
    1780 *George Wood bapt All Saints Hastings 27.08.1780 so George & Ruth
    1782 William bapt All Saints Hastings All Saints 18.07.1782 so George & Ruth
    1782 Ruth bapt All Saints Hastings 18.07.1782 do George & Ruth
    indexing project (batch) number: C00047-6
    system origin: England-VR
    source film number: 1067172

*George Wood (1780) married Susanna Bevins 4th August 1817 at All Saints Hastings
    Susanna Wood (nee Bevins) died 5th Dec 1817 All Saints Hastings

**George Wood son of George and Susanna baptised 5th December 1817 All Saints Hastings

*George Wood now a widower then married Francis Fairall 20 Dec 1819 at All Saints Hastings

**George Wood (son of George and Susanna) was a bricklayer and married Mary Hollis at Kensington 1836

1841 census Marylebone
    **George Wood bricklayer 20 not born in county
    Mary Wood 20 not born in county
    Joseph Wood 2 born in county

1851 census Marylebone
    15 Walmer Street
    **George Wood bricklayer 33 born Hastings
    Mary Wood 34 born Kingston Sussex
    Joseph Wood 12 born Paddington
    Sarah Wood 10 born Marylebone
    George 2 born Marylebone

1861 census Marylebone
    14 Little Harcourt St. Marylebone
    **George Wood 44 bricklayer born Hastings
    Mary wife 44 born Kingston on Thames
    George son 12 born Marylebone

I dont know if its me but cannot find a George Wood born Sep or Dec quarter 1870 Hastings Sussex and registered ? But can find two Male children surname Wood ,one registered Sep 1870 Battle Sussex 2b 41 which would be the right time frame ,and another registered Dec 1870 Battle Sussex 2b 49 which could also be right.

Comment

im confused too. you have not included any information for anyone you are researching in 1871.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
        im confused too. you have not included any information for anyone you are researching in 1871.
        Well . I have not concentrated post 1861 other than say that Joseph Wood 12 born Paddington was a bricklayer and widower in 1871 and still in Marylebone with his son Joseph George 2 his late wife was Caroline nee Winters who seems to have died in childbirth.
        By 1881 he had returned to Hastings and married a cousin ?? not sure she was a cousin by highly probable as her maiden name was Francis Wood.
        Subsequent to this they lived in Teddington according to censuses.
        I did not enter this before so as not to cloud my main issue which is to go back in time beyond **George Wood son of George and Susanna baptised 5th December 1817 All Saints Hastings to try to determine his parents.
        Joe

Comment

My deepest apologies ...... I started the confusion.
          Reading my first post I wrote;
          'There are so many George Wood born in Hastings c1870 and so many people in ancestry have claimed them that this antiquated brain is totally unable to sort it out.'
          What I should have said was c1780.
          You know how it is when you have a lot to say and the fingers move a 'little' faster than the brain.
          Joe

Comment

i totally get that, fingers type slower than the brain thinks. so your trying to prove the parentage of george b.1780ish who married susanna?

Comment

i totally get that, fingers type slower than the brain thinks. so your trying to prove the parentage of george b.1780ish who married susanna?
              Yes indeed and I wish that I could have put it so succinctly ... thanks.
              If you are an ancestry subscriber you will clearly see that the claimants to George are plentiful and this is the part of the Wood that I cant see the trees for.
              Joe

Comment

familysearch doesn't even show as much info as you have there. there were 2 records for a george wood born in hastings 1770-1790, and both were the sons of george and ruth. one in 1779 and the other in 1780. no dates, just years.
                Last edited by kylejustin; 09-04-13, 04:53.

Comment

familysearch doesn't even show as much info as you have there. there were 2 records for a george wood born in hastings 1770-1790, and both were the sons of george and ruth. one in 1779 and the other in 1780. no dates, just years.
                  Thanks ..... I seached family tree and confirm what you found ........ having this information now solidly in concrete I know that I am going to upset a number of Ancestry family trees when I decide to put up my tree ... with all the facts.

Good Support and again Thanks,
                  Joe

Comment

might be worth asking some of the other trees where their information is from. did they look at the igi and claim george and ruth as parents? or did they have someone else?

and if they have others, do they have non con records for example? or is family legend? most likely someone has copied bad research, but you never know, there may be handwritten chart somewhere from victorian times they are using.

Comment

might be worth asking some of the other trees where their information is from. did they look at the igi and claim george and ruth as parents? or did they have someone else?

and if they have others, do they have non con records for example? or is family legend? most likely someone has copied bad research, but you never know, there may be handwritten chart somewhere from victorian times they are using.
                      I tried this avenue and noted that all the information gathered appears to have been sourced and copied from one tree..... you know how it goes ........... and there is no substantiating detail even in the one tree (which has been copied) such as that which I have collected over several years.
                      I am pretty confident.
                      Thanks again,
                      Joe

Comment

Working...
                      X