Death of Mary Harris in Overbury, Worc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death of Mary Harris in Overbury, Worc

I purchased a death certificate for a Mary Harris who died 26th Sept 1843 in Overbury Worc. aged 84 years, widow of John Harris, labourer, - the mark of Esther Harris, present at the death, Overbury, Worc.

It is not my Mary Harris, as her husband was a shoemaker.

John Harris died before 1843, tho the will was not proved till 2.12.1853.

In the 1861 Census, Mary Harris widow 82, shoemaker's widow born Overbury Worc., so she is still alive then (I boo-booed here).

I havent seen the 1871 census, tho I doubt she'd survive that long.

Is there any way of finding the death of a Mary Harris between 1861 & 1871 husband John Harris of Overbury, Worc?
    jood sadly died in November 2019.

There are a few shown here. A death in Overbury would come under the registration district of Tewkesbury, which seems to be recorded as being in Gloucestershire.

Unfortunately it was only from the late 1860s that age was shown on the death certificates, so only three have possible birth years.
    It could be the first one, with the birth year of c1781 - or any of the last three listed - that is presuming she died in Overbury!
    Elaine

Comment

Elaine, thanks. It could be any one of the last 3 as you said. I guess there is no way you could pick one or the other, I'd have to get all 3 certificates would I?

Comment

It could be the first one as well, where year of birth is given as 1781. Remember that the informant may not have known her exact age.

I think initially the parish registers may be your best bet. At least you may get some idea of the ages of the last three on the list, which may help you to eliminate them completely.

Have you checked to see where the parish records are kept for Overbury - and then see if we have anyone on our Research Offers page who might be able to help.
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine, I'll drop a line to a friend who lives near Worc and ask if she can do a lookup for me. Fingers crossed.

Meanwhile thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
          X