Grieve family in Renfrewshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grieve family in Renfrewshire

I have a John Grieve, born 1825, Weaver, Paisley, Renfrewshire, to Peter Grieve & Jane Galloway.

John was a widower in the 1851 Scottish Census, and had a son John, 3 years old and born in 1828, Paisley.

Is there anyway John Jnr's mother could be found, and when the mother married John Snr - I am thinking around 1827. Were there any other children ? I have a Jane Grieve born to Peter Grieve & Jane Galloway, but she was born 10 years later in 1835, so there may be a few more children between John Jnr and Jane Jnr.

These are the details of the 1851 Scottish Census

1851 census Scottish Census
    address 25 great Hamilton Street, Renfrewshire
    GRIEVE John, Head, Widower, M, 26, 1825, Weaver of ? Shawl, born Paisley Renf
    GRIEVE John, son, M, 3, 1848 born Paisley, Renf
    GALLOWAY Jean, Mother, Widow, F, 44, 1807, Weavers Winder, born Paisley, Renf

Peter Grieve and Jane Galloway are definitely the parents of Jane Jnr, as the name Galloway comes up in later years.
    jood sadly died in November 2019.

I am confused - assuming there are no typos in your question. Why do you think Jane was John's mother when the entry in 1851 says his mother is Jean? Are there in fact two different women or are they the same person? Have you got a death for Peter between 1835 and 1851?
    People: Canton, Wiseman, Colthup, Scrace
    Places: Pembrokeshire, Kent.

Comment

Jane, Jean and Jeannie are pretty much interchangeable.
      Last edited by Uncle John; 06-04-13, 21:18.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

add janet into that mix too.

Comment

I'll start a bit earlier. My great grandfather William Laughland married Jane Grieve on 16th October 1855 in St Patricks Church, Partick - their marriage certificate states that Jane was a domestic servant and spinster aged 23. Her father was Peter Grieve (a hand loom weaver) (dec'd) and mother was Jane Galloway. So I know Peter Grieve and Jane (nee Galloway) are her parents, and that Peter is deceased prior to 16th Oct 1855 - in fact Peter is deceased in the 1851 census. I don't have his death certificate or date of death.

The 1851 census shows

Address:
          25, Great Hamilton Street, Renfrewshire

- GRIEVE John, Head, Widower, M, 26, 1825, Weaver of ? Shawl, born Paisley,
          Renfrewshire
          - GRIEVE John, Son, M, 3, 1848, born Paisley, Renfrewshire
          - GALLOWAY Jean, Mother, Widow, F, 44, 1807, Weavers Winder, born Paisley, Renfrewshire

Note: Jean & Jane Galloway are one and the same person. When Jane Grieve (she had remarried at this stage) died in 1878 - her address was (it looks like 21) Great Hamilton Street, Paisley (note address of census) The above census shows that Jane/Jean Grieve/Galloway had at least one other child, John, born 1825 as well as Jane/Jean born 1825 - there is a 10 year gap here, so there must be other children born.

I dont have any census for Jane & Peter except the above.

Comment

If Jane Grieve, d/o Peter Grieve & Jean/Jane Galloway was 23 when she married William Laughland in 1855, then she must have been born ca 1832. Supposing the John Grieve b.1825 in the 1851 census to be Jane Grieve Laughland's brother, that makes a gap of about 7 years.

I wonder if the Jane Galloway marriage could be a second marriage for Peter. I liked the look of this family in 1841, all born Renfrewshire:

No.10 Smiths St
            Peter Grive;35;b.abt 1806; cotton hand loom weaver
            Mary Grive;34;b.abt 1807
            Alexander Grive;16;b.abt 1825
            John Grive;15;b.abt 1826
            Mary Grive;12;b.abt 1829
            Jean Grive;10;b.abt 1831
            Peter Grive;5;b.abt 1836
            Janet Grive;2;b. abt 1839

Paisley Low; ED: 20A; Page: 22; Line: 600; Year: 1841.
            Last edited by Macbev; 07-04-13, 10:02.

Beverley

Comment

No.10 Smiths St
              Peter Grive;35;b.abt 1806; cotton hand loom weaver
              Mary Grive;34;b.abt 1807
              Alexander Grive;16;b.abt 1825
              John Grive;15;b.abt 1826
              Mary Grive;12;b.abt 1829
              Jean Grive;10;b.abt 1831
              Peter Grive;5;b.abt 1836
              Janet Grive;2;b. abt 1839

Paisley Low; ED: 20A; Page: 22; Line: 600; Year: 1841.
              Bev I had that information, but had not worked out who they all were.
              All I know is that Jane Galloway & Peter Grieve married 22 Feb 1824 at Paisley Renf. and the first born (that *I* have) is John, born in 1825. I don't know why Jane Grieve was born 10 years later, all I can suggest is that there are other children I have not found yet, in between. I do know that my Peter Grieve was always from High Paisley not Low Paisley. I have now adjusted Jane's birth to 1833 which leaves 8 years between her and John.

Birth of Jane Grieve shown in IGD register as 1835. Aged 23 and a domestic servant at time of marriage on 16/10/1855. That's where I took the year of her birth from :(

At time of son William's marriage in Dec. 1878, she had been a widow and had remarried to a Mr. Baird.

In Jane Grieve's 2nd marriage - the following info appears
              11 Aug 1876 29 New Sneddon, Paisley - she is 23 and from Paisley, a domestic servant and spinster (incidentally Peter Grieve was a bachelor) Her father's name was Peter Grieve (dec) and mother was Jane Grieve m/n Galloway

Comment

Jood, I guess you have the marriage of John Grieve to Mary Burns, 28 May 1848, East Greenock Renfrewshire? (IGI)

Beverley

Comment

Jood, I guess you have the marriage of John Grieve to Mary Burns, 28 May 1848, East Greenock Renfrewshire? (IGI)
                  No I didnt Bev. I havent "found" John Grieve for very long. Thank you!

Comment

Possibly yours ....the IGI shows a Peter Grieve b.31 Oct 1805; chr. 14 Nov 1805, High Church Paisley Renfrew; son of Alexander Grieve and Cathrine Taylor.

Other children of this couple, all bapt same church:
                    1. Patrick, b, 15 May 1795;chr. 24 May 1795
                    2. Robert,b.22 Jan 1797;chr.29 Jan 1797
                    3. Alexander, b. 15 Jan 1804;chr. 21 Jan 1804

Beverley

Comment

Alexander Greeve married Catherine Taylor 6 Jul 1794 Middle Church Paisley Renfrew

IGI :(Batch) NumberM11961-2:System OriginScotland-ODM
                      GS Film number:1041284

Alexander Grieve b. 15 Jan 1771; chr. 17 Jan 1773 Port Glasgow Renfrew; son of Peter Greive and Sarah Boyd

IGI:
                      Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11574-5
                      System Origin: Scotland-ODM
                      GS Film number: 1041324
                      None of this helps find a definite link between your Jane Grieve and John Grieve, I know...but it might be interesting to you.

Beverley

Comment

Thanks Bev, - you've done wonders.

Does it show a death for Peter (Jnr) sometime before 1855 even before 1851 (between 1841-1851)?
                        And a death for his father Alexander and mother Catherine Taylor? Don't spend too much time on it though.

I guess Peter & Jane only had the two children John & Jane then.

Comment

deaths before 1855 will be in the old parish registers, as burials. and from what i've read, these registers were rarely kept.

Comment

I've had a look on familysearch and on SP for deaths....no luck :( It is quite possible to have such a gap in the family...I have a couple with children well-spaced.

Beverley

Comment

Oh ok - I don't suppose that part is particularly important, how many kids they had.

I'll take a break now and chew over the information you've so kindly sent me.

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Working...
                              X