Padlock on secure site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Padlock on secure site

This may be just a simple thing for some of you ... but not for me.

I am intending to purchase some more credits from Find My Past. When I get to the first page of the payment method, the 'https' appears in the title bar but the padlock never does. In fact it appears nowhere at all. I use Norton Security and although this says the site is secure, should I stop using Norton at some point in the future I would like to see the padlock.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? (Please make any explanation in plain English!)
    Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

It is safe.
    The HPPS means it is a secure connection

We use the same on my company email system

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thanks Trevor

I am a bit paranoid about my PC being hacked!
      Interested in the following:CRUSH from Essex and London; YOUNG from Wanstead Essex and East London; HODSON from Chester; and GERAGHTY/GERRITY from Chester and Co Mayo

Comment

You did the right thing, as you should always check

By the way, I have an Uncle with the surname of young from the area you are looking at.
        Do any of your youngs have Franklin as a connection?

Originally posted by r642611 View Post
        Thanks Trevor

I am a bit paranoid about my PC being hacked!
        Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 05-04-13, 18:55.

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Hi Trevor

Has the padlock disappeared because I use Norton Security and this has superseded it?

I have not yet come across any Franklin connections with my Young family. The parish registers for Wanstead are not in the ERO and I will have to go to East London to look them up.

Comment

Originally posted by r642611 View Post
            Hi Trevor

Has the padlock disappeared because I use Norton Security and this has superseded it?
            I use Norton 360, the Padlock is still showing on secure sites.
            Last edited by Old Holborn; 07-04-13, 10:59.
            http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb....om/~steveabye/

Comment

The padlock is a visual way of reassuring users that a page is secure, but does not appear in all cases.
              The more modern use of secure sites is that it is immediately secured using a secure HTTP address (HTTPS).
              Any information input into a HTTPS addressed site is encrypted and not readable when being transferred from point to point.

The only way a site can get HTTPS address accreditation is to have a site security certificate, which means this is a legitimate site
              Certificates are issued by companies called certification authorities and your browser checks the authenticity of this certificate
              Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 07-04-13, 22:39.

Researching:

Comment

Many thanks Trevor - now I know what is going on!

Comment

Working...
                X