X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GRO can't find John Stephen Webb

hello again.

i'm looking for lost people again.

John Stephen Webb. 1883? (my husbands step grandfather), all we know is that he was born in London (a cockney by all accounts)

I have the following for him.
    marriage certificate... 20 DECEMBER 1913
    JOHN STEPHEN WEBB aged 30 to MARY ANNE HARRIES aged 24
    grooms father - William Stephen Webb
    brides father - David Harries
    witnessed by Elizabeth Harries (brides sister)
    Herbert Webb (no idea who that was)

Military Record - short service

shows his age as 32 years 7 months in Dec 1915 - i calculate that he was born in May 1883

1911 census -Llanwnda - I think this is him

and this may be him again in 1901 - Llanrhian

Death. 1956 Fishguard
    John S Webb
    abt 1883
    Oct-Nov-Dec 1956
    Haverfordwest
    Pembrokeshire
    8c

GRO can't find a birth record for a John Stephen Webb during 1883.
    The only birth record that i can find is for a John Stephen F Webb or a John Stubley Webb in 1883

I've not been able to trace William Stephen Webb either.

I'm not familiar with London registration districts so its like looking blindfolded.

Can anyone point me in right direction please?

Ta very much

Ffynnon

The birth for John Stephen F Webb in 1883 is in the wrong registration district (Hendon) if the place on the 1911 census (Kentish Town) is correct.

As for him being 'cockney' that is a bit subjective and often misinterpreted. If he was born in Kentish Town then he is not technically a cockney as that should be within the sound of Bow Bells in the East End of London; Kentish Town is North West. However the term cockney is often misused outside London as a term for any Londoner, particularily a working class Londoner. I should know as I have spent most of my younger life being called a cockney when I wasn't born anywhere near the East End!

There are several candidates on the 1891 census for John Webb with father William and without knowing a bit more it is difficult to narrow down. Could Herbert on his marrige certificate be a brother?
    Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
    Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
    Devine in Ireland

Comment

Hi Pete

Yes the reference to 'cockney' wasn't something that i took too seriously as I had looked up Kentish Town.
      Herbert could have been a brother, cousin or uncle - we have no idea.
      Until we saw the marriage certificate we were not aware of any Herbert or the father being William Stephen.
      We really don't know anything about him. my husband was only 9 when he died so doesn't have much info. I will need to trawl through those 1891 ones and see if there's anything that gives a clue.

As GRO can't find him in 1883 i'm wondering if the dates are out.

Comment

What is the occupation on the marriage certificate for William Stephen Webb.
        Elaine

Comment

what occupation is on the marriage cert for his father ??

Comment

Father listed as farm labourer
            John Stephen listed as labourer construction work

Comment

dont know if you know but ther are another lot of pages on his war records here

Comment

there is a William Webb farm Labourer born 1845 in Ilston Gamorgan with a son John Webb born 1883 same place ???
                RG12 4489 33 8

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                  dont know if you know but ther are another lot of pages on his war records here
                  http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ervice&indiv=1
                  yes thanks, thats on my tree.

Comment

That second set of military records has St Pancras as place of birth on one page and Kentish TOwn on another. However in 1883 Kentish Town was a sub-district of Pancras, both of which are now sub-districts of Camden.

So I guess that Kentish Town is looking like his correct place of birth, so I think we can rule out the Hendon one, and we are probably looking for a birth in the Pancras registration district. I have just tried on FreeBMD but it is running really slow at the moment.
                    Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                    Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                    Devine in Ireland

Comment

just that the link you gave is for 7 images this link has 25?

Comment

Just found John Foster Webb Jun 1882 Pancras 1b 6, also the John Stubley Webb 1883 you mentioned is Pancras so it could be him.

It is possible that the name on in the index has been mistranscribed from the register (not common, but it does happen) and it is in fact Stephen not Stubley. Only way to find out is to order the certificate.
                        Devine in Ireland

Comment

I thought the Stubley one too Pete

Comment

I also thought Stubley could be a mis-transcription of Stephen, I have ordered a birth certificate to see what it come up with.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Ffynnon

Comment

For elimination purposes here is the baptism for John Foster Webb:

First names:John Foster
                              Surname:Webb
                              Baptism year: 1883
                              Baptism month: Feb
                              Baptism day: 28
                              Parish: St George, Hanover Square
                              County: Middlesex
                              Page: 446
                              Birth year: 1882
                              Birth month: Mar
                              Birth day: 11
                              Father's First names: Charles John
                              Mother's First names: Emma Louise
                              Record source:Westminster Baptisms- Transcripts
                              Data provider: Westminster Archives
                              Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 04-04-13, 21:34.
                              Elizabeth
                              Research Interests:
                              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

thankyou Elizabeth.

Comment

The birth certificate has now arrived for John Stubley Webb and it definitely says Stubley and has not been mis-transcribed, it gives his fathers name as Stephen.

The marriage certificate that I have for John Stephen Webb has a father listed as William Stephen

The mothers name on the birth certificate is Phyllis Ann nee Jennings.

I have done a quick search for Phyllis Ann Jennings on family search and found a tree with Phyllis Ann Jennings with a father John William Jennings and a mother Eliza Rebecca Stubley.

The birth certificate shows that John was born 31st May 1883 in Pancras, sub-district Kentish Town, in the County of Middlesex.

Are there too many co-incidences here? Am I clutching at straws?

Comment

Originally posted by FFYNNON View Post
                                    The birth certificate has now arrived for John Stubley Webb and it definitely says Stubley and has not been mis-transcribed, it gives his fathers name as Stephen.

The marriage certificate that I have for John Stephen Webb has a father listed as William Stephen

The mothers name on the birth certificate is Phyllis Ann nee Jennings.

I have done a quick search for Phyllis Ann Jennings on family search and found a tree with Phyllis Ann Jennings with a father John William Jennings and a mother Eliza Rebecca Stubley.

The birth certificate shows that John was born 31st May 1883 in Pancras, sub-district Kentish Town, in the County of Middlesex.

Are there too many co-incidences here? Am I clutching at straws?
                                    I think it is a distinct possibility in the absence of anything more plausible. It would not be unusual for someone to be called by their middle name. Was the the birth reg done by the mother? If it was here she may be just given the name she used for husband rather than his full 'official' name.

What occupation is given for the father on the birth cert?

Margaret

Comment

no its not unusual at all, my husband has 3 christian names and has always been called by the middle of the three.

John Stubleys mother registered the birth - Phillis Ann Webb. Stephen Webb was listed as an excavator

Comment

This looks like the most likely family for that John in 1891 -

Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Working...
                                        X