Leeds in Stansted Mountfitchet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leeds in Stansted Mountfitchet

I will be visiting the ancestral home of my great grandfather (11 generations removed) and was looking for some advice of where I can view documents from the early 1600s. Thomas Leeds, according to my records to date was a convert to Quakerism, arrested in 1666 for attending a prayer meeting and left England for New Jersey in the around 1675. He was born in 1620 in Stansted Mountfitchet but that is a far as I can track my line. I am hoping to get some records of his birth, and parentage. Thanks for any recommendation in the area of Stansted to find some early documentation.

Welcome to Family Tree Forum Doug, the link above has some Quaker information

Edna

Comment

stansted.net is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, stansted.net has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

This is for the Local History Society which may be of help to you as they will know where the records are kept for the area

Edna

Comment

Edna

Comment

There are images of Stansted Mountfitchet parish records online for the period at SEAX (Essex archives online) which are available to view for a fee

It looks as though Chelmsford Records office also holds records for the arrest and conviction although you may wish to contact them to see if they are available to view

Jackie

Comment

The last link colbycurtess one is wrong link its Canada sorry

Edna

Comment

This web address may be of help to you: -

http://www.quaker.org.uk/library

Also this pay site has some Quaker records:-

http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/help/aboutRG6.htm

(I found some Norfolk Quaker records I needed on microfilm at the Norfolk County Record office. Some of these are also available through the familysearchsite.)

Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 02-04-13, 00:16.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Unless I have misunderstood Dougleeds request, he wants to find records for his ancestor BEFORE he became a Quaker, i.e. his baptism and parentage etc. This will be in the parish register, if it still exists, and a register that old will probably be deposited in the County Records Office.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                  Unless I have misunderstood Dougleeds request, he wants to find records for his ancestor BEFORE he became a Quaker, i.e. his baptism and parentage etc. This will be in the parish register, if it still exists, and a register that old will probably be deposited in the County Records Office.

OC
                  There are records and images online (for a fee) which I referred to in my post at #5. If you go to the first link you can choose a parish - Stansted Mountfitchet St Mary the Virgin & St John the Evangelist parish records go back as far as 1558. These can be viewed free at Chelmsford Records Office.
                  Jackie

Comment

Thanks Jackie. I didn't read upthread, sorry!

OC

Comment

be careful with records as old as early 1600's though, they can be rotten to read! and seax may not have very good images of the registers. seax is a bit hit and miss for image clarity unfortunately.

Comment

Mostly I am looking for records before his conversion, to try to trace my ancestry even further, but since Thomas picked up his coopering tools and moved to the new world he is of special interest. Without him, I may yet be an Englishman giving the assistance to an American tourist instead of being on the receiving end. I am overwhelmed and grateful for all of the very useful advice I have been giving. I will make my search much easier. Thank you Edna, Jackie, Janet, and OC for your time and knowledge. Douglas Leeds

Comment

Douglas,

I was at SoG yesterday. They have a printed transcription of Stanstead Montfichet PRs (Chr 1558-1762 & Ms 1558-1837), with index, so I looked up Leeds.

The only entries they have recorded are:

Chr 29/11/1651 Daniel son of Thomas, born 15/11/1651
                          Chr 21/4/1654 Thomas son of Thomas, born 3/3/1654
                          Marr 10/5/1669 William Leeds m Dorothy Scilton

Hope this is of some assistance.

Carol

Comment

SoG ??? Thank you Carol, each of those records is new information. Those are his three sons but little is known about William and Thomas. Daniel made a bit of a name for himself, even was credit by Benjamin Franklin for publish the first Almanac in the colonies. He also had a rather public falling out with the New Jersey Quakers. I think this is going to be a very expensive expedition. While I am searching for dusty old record my wife will be wearing out the credit card, while I do.

Comment

SoG = Society of Genealogists.

OC

Comment

Working...
                              X