Help needed with the Boardman family.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with the Boardman family.

I have recently made a breakthrough with my ggg granfather John Free Smith's family & have been making use of the free Ancestry access this weekend to follow up one of his sisters. her name was Ann Smith & she married William Bo(a)rdman in Louth in 1851. I had followed them through the censuses living in Market Rasen Lincs, until 1891 , where I found her in Leeds with son Ben & his wife & daughter Demaris. This was odd as she didn't have a son Ben, but it soon became obvious the Lewis H Boardman c1860 had become Benjamin Lewis Boardman. I found him using this name in 1901 & 1911. I was then looking for details on Demaris (Market Rasen c 1857)& after looking on an ancestry tree via Mundia, I found that she was in Nottingham in 1901 & 1911, where I found her with sister Bertha. However, she didn't have a sister Bertha & although I believed that Bertha may have been her sister Emma (Market Rasen c1855), the ages were out by10 years. Mother Ann was with them both in 1901, which seems to confirm that they are the right ones. I can find no matching birth for a Bertha Boardman nor her death. I found a death for Demaris in 1926.

If anyone can help, the details I am looking for are:-
    1871 census for Emma Boardman c1855
    1891 census for Bertha Boardman c1858
    I have located these records but can't view them
    Also there is a birth in March quarter 1891 in Basford Nottingham for a Glyde Bertha Boardman, there is also a baptism for her (mother Demaris) in the West Yorkshire parish records (which I can't view the details of) & a death in Jul quarter 1891 in Leeds.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
    Lynn

For reference 1881 - http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1881&indiv=1
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Baptism Holy Trinity Leeds 29th March 1891 Glyde Bertha Boardman, daughter of Demaris of 3 Coronation Place, Leeds, a single woman. In the left hand margin its marked 'P' which I think means it was a private baptism
      Jackie

Comment

1891 Leeds census Lynn referred to http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1891&indiv=1
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

1901 Nottingham census Lynn referred to http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1901&indiv=1 Bertha is 35 yrs & head of house at 498 Mansfield Road - she lets apartments. With her is her widowed mother (75 yrs) & sister Demaris, domestic svt, 32 yrs. They have an 80 yr old boarder, Mary Roper, of independent means. They have aged another 10 yrs by 1911, although still both 10 yrs "younger" than their actual age - I would think they are your girls, Lynn, they are consistent about their place of birth & the 3 yr age gap!
          Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 01-04-13, 21:58. Reason: ments.
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

!871 Emma Bordman http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...=try&h=4796000 Sorry, Lynn, I'm having trouble reading the image as the writing is faint
            Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 01-04-13, 21:38.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

1891 Bertha was in Market Place Market Deeping. She was boarding with widowed Mrs Hannah Markwell, who let apartments. Bertha was 33 and recorded as a lady's companion.
              Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 01-04-13, 21:45.
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Found this for the marriage details...

1841 17-May Bordman William Father James
                Smith Ann father James Louth St James
                Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Have found the birth for Damaris - Caister, Jun qtr 1857; there's also one for an Emma Bordman at Caister 1854. (both are on FreeBMD.) Sorry, not had any luck with a death for Bertha; also tried Emma, but we don't know what age would have been given when the death was registered, because of the girls knocking 10 yrs off their ages in census.
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thanks. The baptism certainly fits in with where Demaris is in 1891, interesting that the birth is registered in Nottingham though. A private baptism would fit with the fact that she dies in the next qurter, perhaps she was never expected to survive.
                    Can you give me any more details on Emma in 1871 please, as I can't view the record, how annoying that it is faint! I wonder why Emma apparently became Bertha & Lewis became Benjamin.
                    It looks like Bertha may have inherited from Mrs Markwell, as she is letting apartments in the next census, also when I was searching for a death for Bertha, I did find a probate reference from 1940, but couldn't see the details, perhaps this was her?
                    Thanks for the birth details, I have found records under Bordman & Boardman. I already have the marriage for Ann & William & am planning to look at the record next week when I am at the archives.
                    Last edited by Lynn The Forest Fan; 01-04-13, 22:24.
                    Lynn

Comment

Lynn, there's a 1940 death reg for a Bertha J Boardman but that death was reg in Denbighshire, Wales, and the deceased was 59 yrs old.
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thanks
                        Lynn

Comment

Lynn, transcription of 1871 census for Emma - she was at Linwood Road, Elm Tree Cottages, Market Rasen. She was 16 yrs old, a servant, born Lincolnshire. The householder was Susan Townsend aged 80 yrs, pob unknown. Hope that helps. ............... Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Thanks Janet
                            Lynn

Comment

I have been filling in the details for this family on my FTM & have made an interesting discovery. In 1911, there is a couple James & Agnes White living with Bertha & Demaris. Agnes is shown as coing from Market Rasen & her age fits with Agnes Boardman, the girls' sister & sure enough when I checked I found a marriage for Agnes Boardman & James White in Leeds in 1887. Interestingly, her age is correct, even though her sisters' are wrong.
                              I see the marriage is on Ancestry in the West Yorkshire prs, could sks check the details for me please?
                              Last edited by Lynn The Forest Fan; 06-04-13, 15:01.
                              Lynn

Comment

Thanks Vera, unfortunately I can't view that link, could you post the details please?
                                Lynn

Comment

Will do

The Church of St John, Leeds

April 27 1887

James White 36 Bachelor Gamekeeper residence Liberty of Newstead, Nr Nottingham f James White - Butcher

Agnes Boardman 38 Spinster residence 3 Coronation Street f William Boardman - Farmer

both signed

Witnesses Benjamin Lewis Boardman and Emma Boardman. Both signed

after Banns x 3

Vera
                                  Last edited by vera2013; 06-04-13, 17:57.

Comment

Thanks Vera, that is brilliant, all the details tie in with the family
                                    Lynn

Comment

Working...
                                    X