Suffragette's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suffragette's

Right so I found out yesterday that Annie Phillips 1879/1935 was in the Durham penitentiary in the 1911 census. I have no idea why she's there so why on earth does my mother and a contact keep on telling me that she was a suffragette?! We have no proof of what she did and it's really annoying me now. Does anyone know if there's a way to find out? I'm going to the library at some point so I'm hoping they can help me but if anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it.
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

There are records according to the NA

Edna

Comment

http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/Pages/Prison.aspx ............................. You could try here.
      Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

Cheers for the links guys, I'll have a look at them and see what I can find.

Comment

Well I can't find anything online so I'll have to head to the library at some point.

Comment

So I've just got back from the library and they couldn't help me with Annie as I would need a definite year for being imprisoned. They also couldn't help me with the mysterious John Phillips either.

Comment

also try this one

but the link to the pankhurst site is down at the moment so may be try ringing them or write a snail mail?
              but maybe Annie went to the nick for something else entirely. If she was politically active surely something about her would be in the newspapers at the time? Lot of suffragists (those who believed in peaceful protest) often joined the local co-operative movement too.so maybe root for her there.
              Angelina

Comment

Here's to hoping that this works: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...accessmethod=0 Thanks for the links Angeline, I'll have a look at them..

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
                  What you you looking at on that link Sarah? It seems to relate to North/South Wales courts.
                  Elaine

Comment

Ahh shoot. I could have sworn it said Durham.

Comment

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...type=Reference This is how I got to it.

Comment

To be honest, unless you can tie up Annie's name with records at the National Archives then it's going to be very difficult to locate any info.
                        You can ask for records to be copied but the collections you are highlighting are going to be so huge that they will be impossible to copy completely and they don't offer searches on such collections.
                        You would need to "employ" the services of a TNA researcher.

Another route to go down - have you tried local newspapers to see if there is anything for Annie. I cannot see anything in the British Newspaper Collection which is online, but unfortunately there seems to be very little there for the Stockton area.
                        Elaine

Comment

I have tried newspapers from my end and the library probably could help IF I could find the year she was imprisoned. I have sent an email of to Middlesbrough's library in the hopes that they can help me. The only way I could try Durham County Record Office is if I visit and that's impossible without a car.

Comment

I know if you were searching Liverpool Records Office and you know the approx date of info required and where to look, given that you have the census date and prison ect,. Liverpool offer a free half hour search as a one off so it may be worth phoning Durham records Office to see if they have this service too. If not put a research request up for Durham record Office.

Edna

Comment

Working...
                            X