Occupation - a Mason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occupation - a Mason

Ancestor John Cook b Aug 1799 Ipsley Worc (married Elizabeth Harris) After the marriage in 1821 Overbury Worc, subsequent Censuses show him still to be living in Overbury Worc.

I have no idea where Thomas were born (tho I have listed a marriage in Beoley Worc 12 Oct 1798 but no proof)

John Cooks parents are Thomas Cook & Sarah ? (possible - Mitchel)

Since John was a Mason (around 1861), would it be prudent to assume his father Thomas was also a Mason? How could I find out if Thomas was a Mason to confirm I have the right Thomas?
    jood sadly died in November 2019.

You should never assume anything in family history..... It is very possible his father may have been a mason, trades did often run in families, but it is by no means certain. You need to look for other evidence to help find the truth - if John was a mason, he may well have a record of apprenticeship, and that may mention his fathers name/occupation. Other things to consider are to see if you can find a will for Thomas - that will usually give his profession, as well as listing his children.

Once you get back before 1837, you really need to consider all the local records that may mention a family not just the parish registers. The place to start will be the county records office/archive.
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I think their is a link somewhere here that may be useful; http://www.ugle.org.uk/about-ugle/.
      This is The United Grand Lodge of England.

Comment

Once you get back before 1837, you really need to consider all the local records that may mention a family not just the parish registers. The place to start will be the county records office/archive.
        Antony - That could be difficult since I am in Australia lol

Alan - Funnily enough - I thought Mason (the trade) not Mason (the Lodge)

Thanks for the help though

Comment

The catalogue of the records office should be available on-line, and they will copy & send documents to you (for a charge) - they will also offer a (paid) research service if you don't know what documents you need - or you can get a local researcher to visit for you.

Unfortunately only a tiny proportion of parish material is available on-line and if you want to find the definitive evidence to go further back there isn't much option. The LDS film catalogues are worth investigating, they quite often have microfilmed stuff beyond just the actual BMD registers in parishes.
          Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
          Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

I wouldnt dismiss the idea that grandee was a Freemason.........in that time frame a lot of Tradesmen belonged to a Lodge.

Comment

Yes, true Alan, but being a Freemason is not an occupation. It was also a secretive activity in the 1700s and wouldn't have been mentioned in parish registers.

OC

Comment

John Cook only mentions his occupation as a mason in the 51/61 census, and in the 71 census he is head mason.

I did find the following. On notes from England, the Slaters Directory for 1851 Glos, shows a John Cook, Stone mason of Wilson St. St Pauls, Bristol, and a John & Richard Cook, stone and marble masons of Lower Wilson Place, Bristol. Also a John Cook, stone mason of 2 Lower Cheltenham Road/Place, Montpelier.

Whether any of these places, are close to Overbury, Worc I don't know. His children were all born there between 1828 & 1842 (the first two children born in Kidderminster 1823 & Femerton 1825.

Thanks for the suggestions, Antony, Alan & Crone

Comment

Second Marquis of Rockingham; Rockingham; Wentworth Woodhouse; Wentworth; Rockingham; Wentworth Woodhouse; Rockingham; Wentworth Woodhouse;The reign of George III; the reign of George IV; the reign of William IV; Bute; Chatham; Grenville; Rockingham; the American War of Independence; the impact of the French Wars on England; Pitt the Younger; John Wilkes; Eighteenth Century English History; the Age of Lord Liverpool; Peel; History; Social History; Nineteenth Century History; Irish Affairs; Political Personalities in the Nineteenth Century; Economic History; Sir Robert Peel British Politics, Society, Personalities and Economics in the age of Sir Robert Peel. A resource for students of English History

The Combination Laws forbade people from gathering in groups for meetings ect, workers trying to forge their rights and so on, the Freemasons were a group formed by Building tradesmen and collected money from them and gave charitable gifts and remuneration to workers and their families if they were unable to work, The Tolepuddle Martyrs were sent to Australia for acts against these laws which were later repealed.

Edna

Comment

Thanks Edna, that sorts that out. I am positive he was a stone mason.

Comment

Working...
                    X