Grandad/Great Grandad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grandad/Great Grandad

hiya all,its been awhile since i last posted but i have missed you all,i have had a bit of a problem finding my Grandad which as caused me a problem with my great grandad,my Grandad was Edward Taylor born 1903 in salford,he married my gran in 1924,and she was elizabeth ( stretton )the only referance i can find is him living with auntie at 34 rossall st also in salford,i have not been able to find his birth which is what hinders me,can any one move me forward please Ron

Hi Ron, your grandparents' marriage cert would give you the forename of your great granddad.
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

the marriage in 1924 was in Pendleton ...St Paul ...registration district Salford
      can I ask how you know Edward Taylor was b in Salford in 1903 ?
      allan
      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
      oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
      adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
      merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
      coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

there is a George Edward Whitehead Taylor b Jan 1903 baptised 17th May 1903 at St Clement, Urmston ,
        Father Edmund / mother Hester
        abode 56 Queens Road , Urmston
        a total stab in the dark - but - did Edward have any children named Edmund or Hester ?
        Urmston FC play in the Salford Football League ...so must be local to Salford ....
        Last edited by garstonite; 30-03-13, 08:06.
        Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
        oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
        adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
        merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
        coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Allan, in the 1911 census return Edward's place of birth was given as Salford. He was at 34 Rossall St Salford, the home of his aunt, Mrs Elizabeth Hughes. There was what could be a possible mar between James Hughes & Elizabeth Taylor Jun qtr 1907 in Salford Reg Dist. Taylor is a fairly common name in that area, so without knowing the name of either of Edward's parents, I can go no further as yet.
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

George Taylor, s/o Edmund & Hester, was at home with his parents and siblings in 1911 at 56 Queens Rd Urmston.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Even if his age is right in 1911 Ron and you narrow his possible birth, in Salford, down as far as possible, you still end up with 4 possible births. With a name like Taylor and a busy area like Salford it isn't even possible to narrow down his aunt Elizabeth in an earlier census. An earlier poster was right when they said that his marriage cert would seem to be the only way to go from here to find out his father's name and occupation. Which hopefully might narrow it down considerably.

Edward Taylor to Elizabeth Stretton - Jan-March 1924 Salford ref 8d 35
              Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

i have his, marriage cert on it george taylor is marked as deceased,with the address as 47 Peel Street Salford i have found him at Rossall street but on the census he is 8,was he also born there,there are some addresses that reapear like 47 Peel St,44 Peel Street and 36 Peel Street,i also know my great gran lived at 47 Peel st as she was still alive when i was kidi also remember her being Elizabeth, possible maiden name Davies Ron

Comment

So, was the father of Edward Taylor named George Taylor, who was deceased in 1924, when his son married? And you think Edward's mother may have been called Elizabeth, possibly Davies before her marriage? have I got that right, please?
                  Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 30-03-13, 13:11.
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

There is a marr reg for a George William Taylor marrying in Manchester in June qtr 1906 - one of the two brides was Elizabeth Davies. Could that have been the marriage ?
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Might this be George & Elizabeth in 1911? ....... http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...6584166&recoff=
                      Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

That one says that they have had 2 children both alive though Janet and they both appear to be listed.

Comment

Chrissie, isn't it children of the marriage that are supposed to be entered? IF this is the right family, then Edward was born in 1903 & the parents married in 1906, so 2 would have been the correct answer. (It's also possible they didn't include Edward because he wasn't at home; either he was "visiting " the aunt, or he could have lived with her full -time - we have no way of knowing?)
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

There are birth entries for several Edward Taylors c1903 Salford, but there is also one for Edward Davies.
                            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Oh I see what you mean Janet. So do you think that it might have been a second marriage for one/or both of them perhaps and maybe the step mother said that she had enough on her plate with her own.

Comment

It's quite a teaser this one Janet. It's because the names aren't at all uncommon. Perhaps if we could find George in 1901 and see if a possible first wife died between 1903 and 1906?

Comment

It could have been George who was the step-parent??
                                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Ron, Did your granddad have any brothers and sisters? If he did, do you know any of the names, and were they older or younger than Edward?
                                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                                      There are birth entries for several Edward Taylors c1903 Salford, but there is also one for Edward Davies.
                                      Strikes me that Edward was illegitimate born to Elizabeth Davies before the marriage to George Taylor in 1906 and maybe he was looked after by the aunt because of the other children born to the marriage.

Giving George as his father and simply using the surname Taylor would fit in with making things look right on records etc. if mum was named Taylor - happens all the time!

Margaret

Comment

That is indeed the theory I was hinting at, Margaret! (I think Elizabeth may have been in the Salford workhouse in 1901- she would have been single and 21, so of working age?? Mmmmm) But my only reservation is that perhaps it was a sister of George who was caring for Edward in 1911, rather than a relative of Elizabeth.
                                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                                        X