Canadian 1911 census lookup request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canadian 1911 census lookup request

I have a family group, who went over from England to Canada in 1907 The problem I have is that some members of the family keep using different names. you should find William and Diana Butler, both born c 1877 in England, with children Kathleen (or Emma), Florence, Ellen (or Nelly) and mary. I think I have come across the link on Ancestry, but do not have worldwide access.
    Name: Ellen Butler
    Father: William Butler
    Birth: date - England
    year
    Residence: 1911 - Toronto South, Ontario

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Head of household on that seems to be William Butler born 1858 England, with wife Mary.
    Household as follows:William Butler 53
    Mary Butler 50
    Samuel Butler 28
    Agnes Butler 24
    Vera Butler 22
    Frederick B Butler 21
    Thomas Butler 19
    Ellen Butler 15
    William Butler 12
    Mathew Stethe
    Jenny Bellis 31

- so presume it's not the right one.

I'll take another look for you. Do you have any ages for the children?
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine William was born C1877, Diana was born c1877. Children listed on the passenger list in 1907 were: Diana c1896, Emma c1898 (later uses Kathleen), Nelly c1900 ( I think this was Ellen), Florence 1904 and Mary 1906.

Researching:
      FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Not having much luck with this one at all Trevor. Do you know if they stayed in Canada or moved on?

Any marriages later in life for the children?
        Elaine

Comment

They all stayed in Canada. Diana (the child) married a Blair, Kathleen married a North, Florence married a Poole (my line). All confirmed in a chapter of the book 'Prarie Winds' I have not found marriages for Mary or Ellen (Nellie), or deaths for William and Diana, but it would be in the Saskatchewan area. That's why I wanted the census, to check where they first settled and to check the names that were being used.
          Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 29-03-13, 14:19.

Researching:

Comment

I can't seem to find any of them I am afraid.
            Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
              I can't seem to find any of them I am afraid.
              I've trawled extensively via http://automatedgenealogy.com/census...+all+provinces
              and like Elaine I can't find any of them...
              Researching:
              HOEY (Fermanagh, other Ulster counties and Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada) BANNIGAN and FOX (Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland and Portland, Maine, USA) REYNOLDS, McSHEA, PATTERSON and GOAN (Corker and Creevy, Ballyshannon, Donegal, Ireland) DYER (Belfast and Ballymacarrett) SLEVIN and TIMONEY (Fermanagh) BARNETT (Ballagh, Tyrone and Strangford, Down)

Comment

Ancestry has just come up with a 'hint' on my FTM database showing a Katherine Butler, but it shows a 1916 census? I did not know there were two census in a short space of time 1916 Canada Census of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta Record

Researching:

Comment

Available on Family Search, Trevor. Only covers 3 states.
                  Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
                  Elaine

Comment

Not the Kathleen I was looking for, but the record is soooooooooooooooo full of coincidences. My Kathleen married William North 1914 in Saskatchewan, she had a sister Diana, So the 1916 record has a lot of names that match, but the marriages and ages do not, even though they are in the same provence. Don't genealogy give yo9u a headache at times.

Researching:

Comment

Where in Saskatchewan? Perhaps I can help.

Comment

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...13+41+42+53+54

This looks like Ellen (Nelly's) bc. Same address as marriage cert. Maybe he was in the Canadian Army in 1911 or was there a different occupation on the 1907 immigration record (Can't find it on Ancestry).

Vera

Comment

looking at signatures, think this is him

First name(s): William
                          Last name: BUTLER
                          Calculated year of birth: 1878
                          Parish of birth: St Pancras
                          Town of birth: London
                          County of birth: Middlesex
                          Age at attestation: 18 years 10 months
                          Attestation date: 7 April 1896
                          Attestation corps: 7TH BATTALION KINGS ROYAL RIFLES REGIMENT
                          Attestation soldier number: 4664
                          Discharge rank:
                          Discharge corps: King's Royal Rifle Corps - 60th Rifles
                          Discharge soldier number:
                          The National Archives reference: WO96 / 953 / 165

he was posted 1900-02
                          Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
                          http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

Hi Elaine, how did you find this record?
                            Many thanks
                            Trev

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                            looking at signatures, think this is him

First name(s): William
                            Last name: BUTLER
                            Calculated year of birth: 1878
                            Parish of birth: St Pancras
                            Town of birth: London
                            County of birth: Middlesex
                            Age at attestation: 18 years 10 months
                            Attestation date: 7 April 1896
                            Attestation corps: 7TH BATTALION KINGS ROYAL RIFLES REGIMENT
                            Attestation soldier number: 4664
                            Discharge rank:
                            Discharge corps: King's Royal Rifle Corps - 60th Rifles
                            Discharge soldier number:
                            The National Archives reference: WO96 / 953 / 165

he was posted 1900-02

Researching:

Comment

Following the records found by Vera and Elaine, it has closed one of my questions from the 1901 census I came across.

Nellie appeared on the 1901 census with her mother and siblings, but was not on the passenger list when they emigrated.
                              Because of Vera finding the correct name, I see that she dies at the end of 1901, which answered that question.

The military record of William also answers the question I had as to why he was not on the 1901 census with his family.

Thanks all ;D, I have a cousin in Canada who has now had a question she wrestled with for a long time answered for her.

Researching:

Comment

Looked on A* for the marriage and searched the regiments and matched a birth F** military records, signature on front sheet of military record
                                Elaine

Comment

When I do a search on F**
                                  Even if I use the service number you supplied, it states that there are no matches

Originally posted by Elaine View Post
                                  Looked on A* for the marriage and searched the regiments and matched a birth F** military records, signature on front sheet of military record

Researching:

Comment

This is on the first search page if you put in William Butler 1877 England

BUTLER William 1878 London, Middlesex King's Royal Rifle Corps - 60th Rifles WO96 Militia

5th from bottom
                                    Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                    X