Gravestone query.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gravestone query.

I finally have my first gravestone and I wondered, can you actually attach it to the tree? Is there a rule etc?

The same can be asked for the CWGC image?

Cheers guys..
    Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

If you took the photo yourself you "own" the copyright of that image and can do whatever you like with it - if someone else took it, you should ask their permission before using it.

CWGC have a copyright statement on their website - http://www.cwgc.org/terms-conditions.aspx
    Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
    Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Cheers, I didn't see that one, it was the British War Graves website who took the photo of the grave so I shall ask them for permission to use the grave. I've already cropped the other grave out and as much of the building as I could.

Comment

Originally posted by lennon2011 View Post
        Cheers, I didn't see that one, it was the British War Graves website who took the photo of the grave so I shall ask them for permission to use the grave. I've already cropped the other grave out and as much of the building as I could.
        You may need to tell them that you have cropped the photo to limit it to the gravestone in which you are interested. That kind of thing can make a difference.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hold on, I read that link too, and interpreted that photos could be used for personal use. I'd argue my tree, public or otherwise, is my own personal use.
          Copyright
          1. Copyright and database rights in all material on this site are the property of the Commonwealth War Graves Commission unless otherwise stated. This material may be reproduced free of charge in any format or medium for personal use or for internal circulation at an educational establishment, provided it is not altered or used in a misleading context and the Commonwealth War Graves Commission is acknowledged as the source of the material.

Comment

Adding something to your own tree is fine, it is when you then publish that tree on-line and make it available to other people that you go beyond the "personal use" criteria, although in practice, if the image is freely available on the source website and you are not charging people to access the information you are unlikely to get anyone complaining.
            Last edited by AntonyM; 28-03-13, 14:50.
            Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
            Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Hi, so sorry to bother you again but I was wondering, if I crop the other grave out so that I only have my person may I perhaps attach it to my family tree if the tree is hidden?
              As stated in the email..

Comment

As long as I give the credit where it's due then I'm allowed to put the grave on the tree. I've also offered to help them by taking photos of those war graves in my area.

Comment

There are many photos of war graves on http://findagrave.com You can also put a request to other users to take photos for you

Bob
                  http://buswalks.co.uk

Comment

So I've just taken some images of 47 War Graves out of 100 in the Durham Road Cemetery, does anyone have a war relative within that cemetery?

Comment

Working...
                    X