Where are they?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are they?

Hello everyone,I am so glad to have found this forum.

I am having great trouble in finding my father on the 1911 census, he would have been 1 year old. I have found his parents and two eldest siblings but no sign of any of the other 5 siblings that would have been alive in 1911.
    The 1911 census shows that my grandparents had been married 11 years and had 8 children born alive, 7 were living 1 had died. My father at the time of the census was their youngest (there were more to come). I just cannot find any trace of these 5, I would have thought that some of them would be attending school. Any advice on where/how to search next?

Many thanks for any help you can offer

ffynnon.

Welcome to FTF.

Can you post some names*, so that we can see if some of the super-sleuths here can find them?

*ones that you know are deceased, that is.
    Always looking for Goodwins in Berkshire.

Comment

Thanks for the reply

the missing 5 are

Williams - William James born 1904 died 1958
      Gwyneth Lilian born 1906 died 1977
      Doris Evelyn born 1907 died 1977
      Irene born 1909 died 1976
      Emlyn George born 1910 died 1979 (my father)

All these were born in the Bridgend area
      the eldest 2 that are on the census were born in Pembrokeshire
      David Llewellyn born 1900 - his death is another mystery.
      Mary Hannah born 1901 died 1955

Their fathers name was William Williams and mothers name Anne and in 1911 they lived in Pontycummer, Bridgend. I have found records of their births and deaths (except William James death which would have been sometime in the 70's or early 80's). I am just intrigued as to where they all were in 1911.
      As far as I can tell, their grandparents were dead and there were no aunts or uncles that I can find.

thanks

ffynnon

Comment

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/23...nSearchResults ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,, just for reference - is this the family in 1911?
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

yes, those are my grandparents and the eldest 2 children

ffynnon

Comment

Sorry, I'm not having any luck at all.
            Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I find it really strange that there's no trace of any of them. It looks like I will have to wait for the next census to be released.

Comment

is the death of Emlyn G Williams aged 3 connected to you at all?

I have been looking to see if I can spot him but like Jay I am not having much luck, do you have a precise DOB for him?
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

was Emlyn actually born in Pembrokeshire? [sorry did you mean that he was born in the Bridgend area?]
                  Julie

Comment

what were Williams parents names please.. ie: Emlyns Grandparents.. do you have them on any census at all?
                    Julie

Comment

could this be Doris?

Julie

Comment

I've tried looking for Emlyn and also Doris, to no avail. :( As Doris was not at home with the parents, I tried searching for Doris Williams born 1907 +/-1, then tried visitor, lodger, grand/dau etc in turn, but I still couldn't find the children. I also tried D Williams, just in case there was some sort of epidemic and they'd all been taken off to the isolation hospital!! Searching purely by initials (D W ) didn't seem a permitted option within 1911 census. I would think all 5 children were together somewhere and have either been mistranscribed, or had wrong information entered on the form or have somehow been "missed off" a household schedule. Are there any known omissions with 1911, does anyone know? ................................................ Jay
                        Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 26-03-13, 10:37.
                        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Originally posted by FFYNNON View Post
                          I find it really strange that there's no trace of any of them. It looks like I will have to wait for the next census to be released.
                          I'm afraid you'll have a long wait, ffynnon. There are no plans to release the 1921 census ever. The 1911 census was the last ever one to be released under earlier legislation.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                            I'm afraid you'll have a long wait, ffynnon. There are no plans to release the 1921 census ever. The 1911 census was the last ever one to be released under earlier legislation.
                            I live in hope.

Emlyn George Williams is my father, he was born April 2 1910 in Ogmore, Bridgend, Glamorganshire and died March 12th 1979 at Dinas Cross, Pembrokeshire.
                            Last edited by FFYNNON; 26-03-13, 00:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
                              I've tried looking for Emlyn and also Doris, to no avail. :( As Doris was not at home with the parents, I tried searching for Doris Williams born 1907 +/-1, then tried visitor, lodger, grand/dau etc in turn, but I still couldn't find the children. I also tried D Williams, just in case there was some sort of epidemic and they'd all been taken off to the isolation hospital!! Searching purely by initials (D E ) didn't seem a permitted option within 1911 census. I would think all 5 children were together somewhere and have either been mistranscribed, or had wrong information entered on the form or have somehow been "missed off" a household schedule. Are there any known omissions with 1911, does anyone know? ................................................ Jay
                              I hadn't thought that may have been ill and sent off somewhere. I too have tried various searches using visitor, lodger etc for all 5 of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                Unfortunately no, that particular Doris in not connected to our family.

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                  what were Williams parents names please.. ie: Emlyns Grandparents.. do you have them on any census at all?

Yes I do have Williams parents. I am waiting on Birth certificate for him
                                  they are listed on the 1881 census living in Puncheston.

Father - David Williams born abt 1858 Puncheston, Pembrokeshire
                                  Mother - Susanah born abt 1855 LLanychllwydog, Pembrokeshire
                                  Last edited by FFYNNON; 25-03-13, 23:59.

Comment

thankyou very much everyone for your help.

Comment

the 1911 census was not 100%, there are numerous people who refused to fill it in, including suffragettes. so it's quite possible the children are staying with a female relative, and the forms not filled in. then again, they could have been enumerated with the wrong surname?

i thought 1921 was not to be released because it was water damaged, and therefore considered ruined?

Comment

According to the Office of National Statistics, the 1921 census will be released in 2022. There is some debate about whether a change in law will be necessary to allow that to happen - it was the first census carried out under the 1920 Census Act , which carried a statutory prohibition on disclosure (although it doesn't actually specify 100 years). This makes a challenge like the one that released the 1911 census early less likely to succeed, but in my view, the number of people still living who would be included in such a release makes it less likely to be opened early but I'm sure someone will try and you never know what may happen.

The 1931 census was destroyed by fire in 1942.
                                        Retired professional researcher, and ex- deputy registrar, now based in Worcestershire. Happy to give any help or advice I can ( especially on matters of civil registration) - contact via PM or my website www.chalfontresearch.co.uk
                                        Follow me on Twittter @ChalfontR

Comment

Working...
                                        X