PDA

View Full Version : Free Kent Online Newspaper Archive

susan h
24-03-13, 04:04
Kent Online are giving free access to thousands of pages from South Eastern Gazette, a forerunner to Kent Messenger. Unfortunately for those overseas it is only available for free to UK residents. It's a fantastic resource covering 1852 - 1912.

Register first, then go to online shop where you can add a 1 year free subscription to your basket.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonline/digitalarchive.aspx

Have fun, it's a great resource.

Christine in Herts
24-03-13, 17:33
I found I was already registered - but thank you for the tip about the freebie. My main problem is that I find it quite hard to get the image up to a size that I can actually read! I get it up to their full size, and then I press cmd & + (simultaneously), which works to a point - but the image seems not to be designed to be viewed at any larger magnification than they offer, so it soon degrades.

Christine

susan h
24-03-13, 19:40
Christine, did you go to the online shop and add 1yrs free subscription. You should be able to download very good quality pdf files.

Christine in Herts
24-03-13, 22:40
Christine, did you go to the online shop and add 1yrs free subscription. You should be able to download very good quality pdf files.

Ah - maybe that was my mistake - just trying to use the online versions.

Christine

SueNSW
24-03-13, 22:42
Think I'm with Christine - can you only get full page views rather than specific articles - seem to be hard to view on a laptop size screen

PeteW1959
24-03-13, 22:56
If you download the full page pdf and save it, you can open it in Acrobat Reader, or better still Foxit (which is also free and a LOT better than Acrobat as it allows you to highlight and annotate), and zoom the view.