Free Kent Online Newspaper Archive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Kent Online Newspaper Archive

Kent Online are giving free access to thousands of pages from South Eastern Gazette, a forerunner to Kent Messenger. Unfortunately for those overseas it is only available for free to UK residents. It's a fantastic resource covering 1852 - 1912.

Register first, then go to online shop where you can add a 1 year free subscription to your basket.

The KM Digital Archive - view pages from history with our electronic archive

Have fun, it's a great resource.

I found I was already registered - but thank you for the tip about the freebie. My main problem is that I find it quite hard to get the image up to a size that I can actually read! I get it up to their full size, and then I press cmd & + (simultaneously), which works to a point - but the image seems not to be designed to be viewed at any larger magnification than they offer, so it soon degrades.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Christine, did you go to the online shop and add 1yrs free subscription. You should be able to download very good quality pdf files.

Comment

Originally posted by susan h View Post
        Christine, did you go to the online shop and add 1yrs free subscription. You should be able to download very good quality pdf files.
        Ah - maybe that was my mistake - just trying to use the online versions.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Think I'm with Christine - can you only get full page views rather than specific articles - seem to be hard to view on a laptop size screen

Comment

If you download the full page pdf and save it, you can open it in Acrobat Reader, or better still Foxit (which is also free and a LOT better than Acrobat as it allows you to highlight and annotate), and zoom the view.
            Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
            Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
            Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
            Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
            Devine in Ireland

Comment

Working...
            X