Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding maiden name

Hello all, new to this site and forum.
    I am trying to trace my grandfathers side of the family, name of John Majilton 1907-1935. I have a marriage certificate but it only has the fathers names of bride and groom. If I order a birth certificate would that give his mothers maiden name. Tried BMD site but only gives year and index number.
    Thank you.

hi paul

if it was a liverpool/birkenheas marriage/birth then it looks like teresa COYLE was maiden name
    Last edited by loltel; 23-03-13, 21:30.
    Lorraine

Comment

Ancestry have him on the 1911 census with parents William and Teresa. Transcribed as Maulton.

Begin your discovery today by exploring the world's largest online family history resource!
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hiya Paul - Welcome to the forum

Someone has a tree with the Majilton family in it...lots of info...Maiden name is Coil?

Last edited by Tilly Mint; 23-03-13, 21:39.
        Jacky

Comment

Thanks for the replies, it is Birkenhead area. Seems to be a lot of mix up with the surname, ie Majilton, Majelton, and recently Maulton. Im hoping when I order birth certificate maiden name is Coyle. I can then try get a marriage certifice to cross reference again. Have done a search and their is a marriage entry for a Majelton and Coyle but not Majilton and Coyle.
          Thank you

Comment

Not sure how much info you have Paul but I found this....

Jacky

Comment

Thank you Tilly Mint, that is my grandfathers grave. Do you think the marriage certificate would be the right one for Willaim Majilton? I know the surname is misspelt Majelton in Ancestry.

Comment

https://www.familysearch.org/search/...C%20england%22~
                Familysearch has the family in the 1901 census name Majilton in Birkenhead

Edna

Comment

Just to tie up a loose end with the original question. England and Wales marriage certificates only show fathers' names and occupations. Scottish ones give mothers as well, including their maiden names.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thanks Uncle John, I didnt know that bout bride and grooms fathers on certificates. So is the only way to find a mothers name for a child is to order a birth certificate?

Comment

Originally posted by paul67 View Post
                      Thanks for the replies, it is Birkenhead area. Seems to be a lot of mix up with the surname, ie Majilton, Majelton, and recently Maulton. Im hoping when I order birth certificate maiden name is Coyle. I can then try get a marriage certifice to cross reference again. Have done a search and their is a marriage entry for a Majelton and Coyle but not Majilton and Coyle.
                      Thank you
                      Lancashire BMD (http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk) has the wedding of William MAJILTON and Teresa COYLE taking place in 1897 at the church of Our Lady & St. Nicholas & St. Anne, Liverpool.

I hope you know that buying certificates direct from the official sources is much cheaper - and no more difficult - than ordering via one of the well-known sites.

Christine

PS - For weddings, you may be able to get a photocopy of a church register entry for significantly less than a copy of a certificate, if you don't need the record for legal purposes.
                      Last edited by Christine in Herts; 24-03-13, 14:38.
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

If you have access to the newspaper archives, there are a few references to P.C. MAJILTON in Lancashire, and a very large number to Charles/Chas MAJILTON and his theatrical company.

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Wow your all good at this family tracing, im new to tracing and buying certificates so have been getting them from GRO site. Do you ask the church directly for a copy or another site. I dint even find the marriage, think I need to throw the net a bit wider in the searches.

Thank you Christine

Comment

Liverpool/Birkenhead Baptisms were on Ancestry if you have a sub and if you dont have a sub then go to your local library and see if they have an Ancestry sub check if the marriage records are available for St Nicholas and ask while you are there if the have the Archived Newspapers on line, If you find anything they will print it off for you for a small charge.
                            I saw on Familysearch that there were Military/Malitia records for some of your names Birkenhead.

Edna

Comment

Is Ancestry the best site to use. The two military names are my grandfather and his brother I think.

Comment

Yes everyone uses Ancestry but you can get a free two week trial, but you need to give credit card details and just before the two weeks is up phone and cancel so make sure you get the freephone number otherwise you will be paying for a years sub,

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KHYY-J2H Joseph at Chester
                                https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KHYY-J2C William at Chester

Edna

Comment

I dont have Ancestry, Paul but this is the page for your information...i think it's your John there....

Last edited by Tilly Mint; 24-03-13, 17:51.
                                  Jacky

Comment

Here is an interesting thread on Ancestry boards and one person has been collecting this name for 30 years and the birkenhead link is mentioned and they also talk about the family being entertainers linked to Berrington surname

Edna

Comment

http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com.../UHP-0065.html William

Edna

Comment

Originally posted by paul67 View Post
                                        Wow your all good at this family tracing, im new to tracing and buying certificates so have been getting them from GRO site. Do you ask the church directly for a copy or another site. I dint even find the marriage, think I need to throw the net a bit wider in the searches.

Thank you Christine
                                        GRO is the best site as that is the official source of the certificates so you are buying direct and not through an intermediary site who then add on their charges.

I don't think churches will send you photocopies and in any event their registers often go off elsewhere after a certain period - usually to the local Records Office which is where you might be able to get a photocopy from. I have never done that but there are others on here who have and will hopefully advise further.

Ancestry is good for some parts of the country as they have images of the actual registers for marriages so all you would need to do is download the image. Liverpool, London and West Yorkshire are the main ones I think where you benefit from this.

Margaret

Comment

Working...
                                        X