issues with freebmd?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• issues with freebmd?

anyone having issues with frrebmd? every time i click 'search' i get a '404 page not found'. this happened for a week now, on both computers at home. anyone having issues?

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
    anyone having issues with frrebmd? every time i click 'search' i get a '404 page not found'. this happened for a week now, on both computers at home. anyone having issues?
    I just tried it and got through OK ............ reboot necessary perhaps?
    Joe in Sydney

Comment

Just had a search on there Kyle,................no problem. I also used it yesterday without any hassle..........be gentle with it, dont swear!

Comment

Just lately my searches seem to have taken a long time and yesterday I got the 'Server Busy' notice, something that I haven't had for a long time.

Margaret
        Margaret

Comment

Maybe I've been using it all up! I've been on there everyday for a week including yesterday with no problems.

Anne

Comment

No problem for me either.

Which search button isn't working, the one on the home page that takes you to the search form, or the 'find' button on the search form itself?

If it is the former, try this link directly http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

If it is the latter it may a problem with your computer. AFAIK the button uses Java, and it may be a problem with your Java installation. Is it up to date?
            Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
            Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
            Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
            Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
            Devine in Ireland

Comment

when i click 'find', this is what i get: 'Not Found The requested URL /search.pl was not found on this server.' the tab says '404 not found'. so nothing to do with java as it would tell me if that was the case. it's the same message on the desk top and lap top.

Comment

search.pl must be found, as that is where the search form comes from, and as it is working for everyone else, it has to be something to do with your configuration.

Does the 'reset' button (used to clear the form) work?

Which browser are you using? Can you try a different one?
                Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
                Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
                Devine in Ireland

Comment

im using firefox, as usual. it's all just updated too.

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                    im using firefox, as usual. it's all just updated too.
                    I used Firefox at 14.46 in the UK. The site was slow, but returned a search result.
                    Phil
                    historyhouse.co.uk
                    Essex - family and local history.

Comment

I'm on Firefox 19.0.2 (which is the latest).

kylejustin, are you able to try another browser? Perhaps you have Internet Explorer still installed and you could try that. It would help eliminate what is causing the problem.
                      Devine in Ireland

Comment

just tried that pete, internet explorer, came back with the same result. highly annoying.

Comment

Kyle, have you tried via rootsweb? http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/ May work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

susan, lifesaver!! that one works? why is that?

Comment

Dunno, Kyle............just a different url. Pleased it worked for you,
                              Last edited by Guest; 24-03-13, 11:50.

Comment

When you enter a web address (URL), it goes through a process of connecting to what are known as Domain name Servers (DNS), these store databases that turn the address that you typed in as a 'word' to the actual Internet address of the server (ie 192.12.4.6).If you have a slow connection or for some reason the DNS server that your Internet supplier connects you to cannot locate the IP address required, your will find a 'time out' occurs, where the connection gives up, hence the 404 message. It has nothing at all to do with your PC or the browser that you are using, but the way that the Internet and devices, protocols etc all work.

Researching:
                                FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Kyle, there must be something about your internet setup that is blocking the results page from coming up. As you have tried two browsers the problem isn't there, so might be your anti-virus, or perhaps as it is happening on more than one computer it might be a setting on your router.

You could eliminate the anti-virus by turning it off temporarily and seeing if the results page loads. (Don't forget to turn it back on when you have finished the test!)
                                  Devine in Ireland

Comment

there are different anti virus programs on each computer. so unless they both block the site (which neither have done before) then i don't think it's the software. the internet has been slow for some sites, so maybe it is the router.

Comment

Mine seems to be running extremely slow today..
                                      Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

Working...
                                      X