Was School compulsory between 1883 and 1890

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was School compulsory between 1883 and 1890

I cannot find my nan in the school records she lived in Shoreditch so would have thought she would be somewhere ? what were the rules for schooling.
    I found my grandfather and his siblings at school but not her or any of her siblings.

I assume so Val, as I have newspaper clippings for my ancestor brought to court for not sending is son to school for a few weeks. I'll be back with full details when I locate the record.
    Last edited by Guest; 23-03-13, 01:10.

Comment

1886 summoned by the Huddersfield School Board charged with neglecting to send children regularly to school

Also in 1882 ........... fined 6d and 4s 6d costs or in default seven days, neglecting to send children to school in accordance with the Education Act.

Last edited by Guest; 23-03-13, 01:22.

Comment

Sadly not all school records survive, or if surviving not necessarily at the records office. Also how old would she have been? In 1880 an act made education compulsory between ages 5 and 10, raised to 11 in 1893 then later to 13 (can't find date for that at present) UPDATE I've just found a reference that it raised to 12 in 1899 but from 1880 children between 10 and 13 could only be employed if they had a certificate from school to confirm they had reached the required educational standard.
        Last edited by JudithM; 23-03-13, 08:30.
        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Both my maternal grandparents had 9 siblings. I have found school admission records for only a few of their siblings, including some of those close in age to my grandparents, but nothing for either of them.
          My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

I'm not sure if all schools had admission registers - if they did, then certainly not all have survived. I haven't come across a single one for any of the village schools in my local area (plenty of log books,) but these were all church schools and probably part of the old National school system, which was in existence before compulsory education for all was introduced. The acts of 1870, and afterwards, arranged for the setting up of school boards to fill the gaps in the National school system - the Boards had to provide and run these schools and were accountable for the finances, which would have included a system for collecting the fees. I suspect introducing and keeping both admissions and attendance registers began at this point, to help keep tabs on things. .................................................. .................................................. ...................................... Jay
            Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

There were a lot of 'private' schools that were not much more than a dozen children being taught in someone's living room, and some were even residential.

One of my ancestors is listed at one such 'school' on a census, but there is no record of this school whatsoever, and I suspect that the records for most of them were just destroyed.
              Co-ordinator for PoW project Southern Region 08
              Researching:- Wieland, Habbes, Saettele, Bowinkelmann, Freckenhauser, Dilger in Germany
              Kincaid, Warner, Hitchman, Collie, Curtis, Pocock, Stanley, Nixey, McDonald in London, Berks, Bucks, Oxon and West Midlands
              Drake, Beals, Pritchard in Kent
              Devine in Ireland

Comment

The only time I've came ocross any mention of school is the scholar part in the census records, I think this is someting else for me to attempt to find now.
                Lennon. Phillips. Thomas. Peacock. Tubridy. Burton.

I am the girl from that town & I'm darn proud of it.

Comment

thanks everyone for your input ,what a shame would loved to have found them ,she was born in 1880 Judith, mind you they were quite well off so maybe they did have private schooling??

Comment

I'm not sure if anyone's seen this but it may be good if you have a connection in the area:

Comment

thats fascinating Lennon thanks for that link

Comment

Your welcome. I just did a search in Google for "1880 school genealogy, stockton-on-tees" and it came up due to some of them being from the area- that and we have a HarrowGate Primary & HarrowGate Lane with a 2 Secondary School's on it.

I'm now adding a new blog for those searching Stockton Schools in the future.

Comment

Done

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                            I cannot find my nan in the school records she lived in Shoreditch so would have thought she would be somewhere ? what were the rules for schooling.
                            I found my grandfather and his siblings at school but not her or any of her siblings.
                            A slim possibility is that she may have been boarded out to a family in Essex or Herts and attended the local village school. There are numerous examples of London Boroughs and Poor Law Unions doing this during this period. Were the family very poor and in and out of the workhouse? Or family life was interupted?
                            Last edited by keldon; 23-03-13, 14:24.
                            Phil
                            historyhouse.co.uk
                            Essex - family and local history.

Comment

thanks Keldon this family were lucky they never ended up in the workhouse ,and even owned their own home , they were a very religious family and their Father helped out a lot in the St Leonards Church in Shoreditch, wonder if they did any schooling ?

Comment

Do you have her with her family on the 1891 census? If so was she described as scholar? All I can suggest is that you access a map of the period and try to pinpoint likely schools nearby, then check with the London Metropolitan Archive whether the admission registers of those schools survive. There may be some online, others not yet online, and yet others maybe lost or even still in the original school.
                                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I'm going to have to try Teesside Archives for mine, although I'm not sure if they have the records yet as it states- coming soon.

Comment

Thanks Judith it does say Scholar besides her and her sister Rebecca in 1891, I always assumed it just meant they didn't go to work yet ???

Comment

What if they were homeschooled?

Comment

I suppose it would still say scholar Lennon ??

Comment

Working...
                                        X